Thinking of switching from fixed blade to mechanical broadheads

If it aint broke don't fix it
100% this here.

The only reason I see to switch from a fixed blade to a mechanical is if you are having accuracy issues with fixed blade.
IMO this is the worst reason to switch. If you have accuracy problems with a fixed blade its 99% of the time a bow tuning issue. Assuming you have a newer 10yrs or less bow; just tune the bow, super easy DIY or take it to a shop. Fix will most likely only take 5-15mins. Shooting a mechanical head in this scenario is just covering the real problem.

100% this here.

IMO this is the worst reason to switch. If you have accuracy problems with a fixed blade its 99% of the time a bow tuning issue. Assuming you have a newer 10yrs or less bow; just tune the bow, super easy DIY or take it to a shop. Fix will most likely only take 5-15mins. Shooting a mechanical head in this scenario is just covering the real problem.

I won't argue that tuning is often the problem, especially with most modern broad heads. However, I doubt it's "99% of the time", especially when shooting larger 2 blade cut to tip broadheads with the short fletching that's so popular today.

I won't argue that tuning is often the problem, especially with most modern broad heads. However, I doubt it's "99% of the time", especially when shooting larger 2 blade cut to tip broadheads with the short fletching that's so popular today.
99% might be a stretch however i.would argue that the short fletching in and of itself is a tuning issue 😀

I shot one of my dad's original thunderheads from the early 90s last weekend and that thing flew just like my field tips. Like you said a good modern broadhead will most likely be a tuning issue as opposed to a fixed blade issue.

Good luck the rest of your fall and hope you don't have bad luck like your handle would suggest 😀

Had a guy in deer camp 30 years ago with buckblasters and a blazing fast bow of 330fps. They were a small fixed blade and mechanical that opened to 2.5 inches 125 grain. He blew holes through deer and they dropped. I always wanted them so wouldn't have to worry about this debate. Tune bow and spin arrows to make sure balanced. I have used both and worry less with a cut on impact fixed blade

I’ve killed two does this season with a G5 Megameat 2” cut. Both pass throughs with giant holes.

Attachments

• IMG_9236.jpeg
    IMG_9236.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 4
I forgot this thread existed until today. So I wouldn't say that I "switched" but based on feedback here I did add a some Sevr Ti 1.75" 125gr. to my quiver with good results. I shot a bear last fall in Canada and did catastrophic damage and massive hole with the Sevr, complete pass through at 17 yards, mass blood trail. I then switched back to my trusty Kudu 125 gr with bleeders for a Red Stag hunt in Argentina this March. I hit a stag in the shoulder after he spun on me but still got 6" penetration at 47 yards. Not a ton of blood but end result was a dead stag with significant tracking after my guide essentially forced me to hurry after the stag. Given the time of day I would have backed out and found him dead within 100 yards the next morning. Either way, that was a bad shot that I don't think the Sevr would have had the punch to get through a marginal shot. I shot my spring turkey with a Sevr and it did massive damage and died within 15 yards. So, what's the moral of the story? What's the right answer? Honestly, there isn't one. You do you, whatever works for the situation you are in is the best broadhead. I'm considering shooting a Sevr if/when I get a shot at a Montana elk in a month or so but it will be a game time decision as I will have 2x Victory RIP TKO 300 spine w/ 125 grain Kudu's with bleeders, 2 of the same arrow with 125 gr. Sevr's an 1 with a Judo tip because I'm darn sure not going into the mountains without some way to shoot a grouse :)

Looking for input on the best 125 gr mechanical broadhead. I hunted Kudu fixed blade last year with good results (got two antelope and a whitetail) but wanting to go to something that leaves a much bigger hole and blood trail. Anyone have anything that they absolutely love?
Buddy’s and I have been using grim reaper whitetails with good results

With the Exception of Original 125 grain rocket steelheads the best mechanical heads ever are being produced at this point.

Trifectas
SevR 1.5,1.75 and 1.5 hybrids
Beast 2”
Thrive Broad heads
REK ..1.8s
GR fatal Steel 1.25s
Slick Trick Torch

You can’t go far wrong with any one of the above

Looking for input on the best 125 gr mechanical broadhead. I hunted Kudu fixed blade last year with good results (got two antelope and a whitetail) but wanting to go to something that leaves a much bigger hole and blood trail. Anyone have anything that they absolutely love?
The G5 Mega meat mechanical is absolutely devastating, and will leave quite a blood trail.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozarkhuntress
Back