Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

The perfect ATV setup

Honestly if it's a road that can fit a big sxs then get a used compact pickup, put a winch on it and it will have a lot of benefits over a sxs.
1 cost
2 has heat/ cab
3 quiet
4 can haul more
5 can jump from trail to trail without trailering.
6 less tempting to drive all over hell for no reason

If it's a atv trail then don't take a sxs or pickup down it you will need a 4wheeler or dirt bike.

You need a motor vehicle use map for the area.

My arsenal is
3 horses
1 honda rincon
1 yamaha tw200
1 nissan frontier
The yamaha and honda hardly ever go hunting
I did underutilize my winch. Maybe that was half of my issue.

I have the Rzr 570 trail that I use occasionally for hunting. It goes on the 50” trails and can haul a lot and 2 people can ride comfortably in it.

I have had 2 different Yamaha Grizzly 450 4x4 ATVs that have both been rock solid. Sold the first one with 10,000+ miles on it (I got it used with most of those miles on it) and the one I have now has like 4,000 miles on it. They are kind of an in between the small 2wd and the big heavy 800 and 1,000cc ones. I can pick up the front or back and move it around if I need to but it’s going to take more than one guy to get it out of a hole.

I just bought a Honda Pioneer 1000-5 that is going to be a good worker for me when I don’t need to worry about the 50” limit for a trail. It is going to be nice to be able to fit 5 people in it if I want to show people around my place in Colorado and the folks down back seats make a nice cargo carrying machine with a dump bed.

I also have a Husqvarna FE 501 that is just for fun.

Back