Advertisement

The perfect ATV setup

perma

Was hunting last week and realized that half of the unit was inaccessible without the use of an ATV. The road is good for a UTV but there were some gnarley rocks that my machine couldn’t handle. It got me thinking of some future hunts that I can do with an ATV.

Show me your setup, or if you had an unlimited budget, what would you get and how would you build it?

Honestly just rent one, trade service for one, or make a friend with one thatd share. I have one. I use it sometimes. But not a lot really for what they cost.

We could maybe work something out if you hold my hand in the Wyoming wilderness as required by state law, for example.

Honestly just rent one, trade service for one, or make a friend with one thatd share. I have one. I use it sometimes. But not a lot really for what they cost.

We could maybe work something out if you hold my hand in the Wyoming wilderness as required by state law, for example.
I’d use it for more than just the one hunt a year so I’d probably be still inclined to buy one. Not a brand new one, though.

I actually went opposite of what most would do. I brought a Kawasaki brute force 300. It’s light and 2 wheel drive. If there isn’t a place I can’t get it on a trail then I should be there. It’s hauled me at 270lbs and a full cow elk out on the racks.

Years prior we used a big heavy 700 4x4 and it wasn’t near as maneuverable. It hauled a ton but was like a tank on the trail with very little articulation. If I got it stuck in a rut I would be screwed. You couldn’t move it. That made me decide to go light and small. The 300 is easily manhandled if I get it into a bad spot.

Hard to beat a Yamaha Grizzly regarding capability and longevity. Yeah, they’re heavy but really can’t be stopped with a decent winch and some winching know-how. Sold mine last fall with 4000+ miles on it. Was still going strong.

I actually went opposite of what most would do. I brought a Kawasaki brute force 300. It’s light and 2 wheel drive. If there isn’t a place I can’t get it on a trail then I should be there. It’s hauled me at 270lbs and a full cow elk out on the racks.

Years prior we used a big heavy 700 4x4 and it wasn’t near as maneuverable. It hauled a ton but was like a tank on the trail with very little articulation. If I got it stuck in a rut I would be screwed. You couldn’t move it. That made me decide to go light and small. The 300 is easily manhandled if I get it into a bad spot.
I just bought a honda fourtrax 300 for the same reason. I can lift one end and drag it around and manhandle it if I need to. I do think 4x4 would be advantageous though.

I have both a sxs and an atv. Polaris RZR XP Pro 4 seater. It is great on the longer crap roads/trails but very limited in space to carry stuff. I do use my 2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 on occasion, thing runs great but man in 5 years I think I’ve put 300 miles on it.

Either way, both have merits. Id almost look at the smaller sxs like a polaris 570 or the Honda 500.

Was hunting last week and realized that half of the unit was inaccessible without the use of an ATV. The road is good for a UTV but there were some gnarley rocks that my machine couldn’t handle. It got me thinking of some future hunts that I can do with an ATV.

Show me your setup, or if you had an unlimited budget, what would you get and how would you build it?
I’ve added some rotopax packs for water and gasoline. Carries all my stuff in, can carry an elk out, can put soft upper doors on in the fall mornings/winter keep the chill off.

Attachments

• 70633762047__EFA14570-57EA-47B1-8237-4C5ABE679932.jpeg
    70633762047__EFA14570-57EA-47B1-8237-4C5ABE679932.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 6
I’ve added some rotopax packs for water and gasoline. Carries all my stuff in, can carry an elk out, can put soft upper doors on in the fall mornings/winter keep the chill off.
That has the same ground clearance as my ranger according to the specs sheets. So idk that I’d gain anything from that except maybe a wheelbase decrease?

Honestly if it's a road that can fit a big sxs then get a used compact pickup, put a winch on it and it will have a lot of benefits over a sxs.
1 cost
2 has heat/ cab
3 quiet
4 can haul more
5 can jump from trail to trail without trailering.
6 less tempting to drive all over hell for no reason

If it's a atv trail then don't take a sxs or pickup down it you will need a 4wheeler or dirt bike.

You need a motor vehicle use map for the area.

My arsenal is
3 horses
1 honda rincon
1 yamaha tw200
1 nissan frontier
The yamaha and honda hardly ever go hunting.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brent Thomton
Back