Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

The new hunter needs some help.

jessie0718

My name is Jessie and I'm from idaho falls, I'm a new hunter and on here to get learn and get advice. I have my elk tag for unit 69 and 66. Can anyone help me with some good spots to get me a good cow? Using a rifle for now until I can learn to shoot with one. Anyway if people can help a new hunter out would be great, it's embarrassing I'm 40 and just starting to hunt. My wife comes along with me and I love how she does that we both are learning and today I feel bummed. We went were out and i stopped because I seen either 2 Elk cows or 2 female moose. I couldn't really see they didn't run off right away. I still couldn't really see with binoculars either I'm not very smart not being able to tell the diffrence from 500 yards or so. I couldn't even shoot if I wanted couldn't see what was behind them so we moved closer to be able to see it's open by the way so I'm thinking moose because they don't have the best site anyway my wife fell and they ran off. Starting to think I shouldn't be hunting if I couldn't tell what was what if anyone could help me out with some good areas on 69 and 66 would be great getting up early. Thanks again for the help.

Moose are pretty dark. Spend more time in the woods and you will see more animals, and spend more time looking at and properly identifying animals, and you’ll get better faster at that as well. It’s just exposure. I can’t identify different ducks as they fly in but I imagine if I took a shotgun and went bird hunting a bit more, it would get easier. Good luck and happy hunting.

Attachments

• IMG_2321.png
    IMG_2321.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2322.png
    IMG_2322.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 8
Can't tell you where to hunt in that part of the country.
As others have mentioned the more you do something the better and easier it gets. Shoot your guns as often as you can afford. Get binoculars and learn how to use them, and maybe a rangefinder to tell you how far away objects and animals are. Be patient you will get better every time you go out. Hope this helps. 👍

Moose are pretty dark. Spend more time in the woods, and you will see more animals. Spend more time looking at and correctly identifying animals, and you’ll get better faster at that as well. It’s just exposure. I can’t identify different ducks as they fly in, but I imagine that if I took a shotgun and went bird hunting a bit more, it would get easier. Good luck and happy hunting.
Thanks, I appreciate the help. I didn't shoot because I didn't know what was behind them. I had a feeling it was 2 elk cows. I didn't want to take the chance. I had a couple of people tell me I should have shot, but not knowing what was behind, I couldn't.

Thanks, I appreciate the help. I didn't shoot because I didn't know what was behind them. I had a feeling it was 2 elk cows. I didn't want to take the chance. I had a couple of people tell me I should have shot, but not knowing what was behind, I couldn't.
You can rest easy at night knowing this. Good man(woman?)! I passed several shots my friends and family have been screaming to take, because of being on a road or trail, because of fencelines, because of knowing “beyond”… it’s not a bad thing to miss an opportunity that could have led to disaster. Good luck out there. Get back in there and find em. If you’re unsure, get closer. You’ll get your shot eventually. Make it right when you do…

Good on you for passing on the shot.

A key skill in hunting, is figuring out how to get closer to animals. This can be done in and out of hunting season. Learn how to use the wind to your advantage, and how to shield yourself from the animals as you get closer to them.

Look at photographs of various animals so that you can tell them apart when you are afield. Moose, for example are darker than either deer or elk. Also their head is considerably larger and they have a prominent shoulder hump.

Practice with your rifle and become proficient with it. I would advise you not to fall in love with shooting from as far as you think you are capable. More than a little of the thrill from hunting is getting close to the animal.

If you are a new hunter, howe is it you would have shot at 500 yards "if knew what was behind them"? Do you have know proficiency shooting at 500 yards? I surely do not so wouykld not have shot at that distance. If you have not practiced past 500 yards I would think you have no business ever shooting at 500 yards.

What binos to you have?, 500 yards is not all that far to tell a moose from an elk with reasonably decent glass.

Good luck on your path to hunting proficiency, take time and repetition to get the hang of it. You will get there.

It's taboo to post online about specific unit numbers, especially to ask for spots.

You shouldn't be even considering shooting at any game until you are proficient at identifying species and sex of the animals you're hunting.

Don't shoot at game at 500 yards unless you an extremely good and well practiced marksman.

I think you should spend some more time hiking, observing game, and learning the basics before you go hunting again

Back