Tent/sleeping bag help?

A couple of years ago I needed a zero degree bag that was budget friendly. I ended up with The North Face Wasatch and it cost around $100 (can find them for about that today). It's a synthetic bag that comes in at 2lb 14oz. Not the lightest, but better than the 7 pounder. Has done well for me to this point.

As said upthread, go fully enclosed for the bugs, plus floorless in a real storm is a PITA, rain and snow get under the edges unless you have a perfect location, ending up in the middle of a tarp with all your gear piled on you trying to stay dry sucks... early season there's no need for all the 4 season alpine climbing tents you see getting lugged around either, go as light as possible in a double wall tent, BA fly creek is awesome, or a Copper spur if you want doors on both sides, I've never gone with a heavier bag than a 20 degree in September, spend the money for a good one once, my Western Mountaineering bag is on the plus side of 20 years old and still as warm as it was to start, despite being abused endlessly. if you are too cold wear layers in the bag, I've taken the 20-degree bag down to the mid -20's multiple times with a puffy jacket and puffy pants on, I've also bivied in -20 in just puffy layers, no bag, people take way too much stuff... the pad matters almost more than the bag when things get really cold, but for September you can go light, Thermarest X-lite or Uberlight are fine.

All said you should be able to have a tent, bag, and pad for less than what your current bag weighs without giving up any comfort.

Kenetrek Boots

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishonfleek
Back