MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Tell me about Great Falls, MT

I've been in great falls for a couple hours now for my kids swim meet tomorrow and nobody has stolen the spare tire out of the back of my truck yet. Will report back Sunday morning.
Night is still young. I'm guessing those who would take something like that are still sleeping last nights partying activites off.

I'm just joking around of course. I love where great falls is located within the state. It does have a reputation, no doubt about that.

Dang now there are some funny answers on here. Well my take on it is I was born and raised in Great Falls. I spent 28 years with the Cascade County Sheriffs Office retiring in 2004. I had the chance to see some of the worst any community could produce and some of the best as well. Great Falls has not grown like the other larger towns have and that to some is bad while others thank God it's the way it is. Some say the wind blows all the time but some just think the Dakota's suck. Take your pick ;) One thing I always liked is I was able to ride my road bike every month of the year most every year, The chinooks are amazing and temp swings are simply amazing. In 2013 we moved to Seeley Lake and it's very nice here. But it's winter from fall till late spring and the inversions get old. Sometimes I really miss the wind "no kidding"
The cost of living in Great Falls is probably among the best in the state at this time. Honestly I could move back with out much problem, my wife maybe not. The outdoor opportunity's are everywhere in all directions.
The crime issue I think is in line with a few other community's around the state. In my opinion the stats are dependent upon how they are reported. I think there is a difference in how some agency's report theirs, but this is my opinion only. Where I live now there is a strong drug problem and is an issue. Honestly I think is every bit as bad as Great Falls. Every community has it's own set of issues keep that in mind.
West of the divide is hit hard by tourists aka tourmites according to some locals lol. Also a lot of out of state buyers some buying sight unseen. That is a stupid move and some have learned the hard way. I think after a couple of winters here there will be some places up for sale. I know of one guy from Texas who bought a nice log home and when he brought his wife up to enjoy the Montana life style she looked around and went back to Texas. He sold the place to another Texan so we will see how that works out.
So I think Great Falls is not a bad place to live or raise a family but that's something you have to decide for yourself. Remember happy wife happy life.
Good luck!!!

We did Pueblo for 6 years, the fishing was outstanding, I LOVED not having to drive I-70 to the mountains, and the chiles were tasty...and I went to Great Falls once, I'd take Pueblo...
Sorry you have to live on the Front Range.

Reactions: JEL
I lived just 20 miles from Great Falls in a tiny town called Belt for 13 years. I don't mind GF. It's close to great fishing on the Missouri River. Heck, it runs right smack dab through the middle of town. Once you get about 80 miles from GF the hunting improves in just about any direction except south, which just puts you in Helena. Cost of living and housing is more reasonable than about anywhere else in the state. The wind does blow, but like has been mentioned it makes the snow go away. If you move there it would be an upgrade from anything I've ever experienced in Washington. Well that is if you love to hunt and fish. If you need to be entertained by big city type entertainment then you'll likely get bored pretty quick.

I mean if it's not hunting season you can always go check out the Playground. Years ago the bartender had a tattoo of himself on the back of his head...classy joint
My daughter worked in a bank near the Playground briefly one summer. Lots of deposits of $1 bills. They wore gloves.

LOL, I can hunt elk, deer, bear, and turkeys 10 minutes from my house if I choose, and deer on my own property, no complaints here!
Me too but I don’t have to drive in Front Range traffic. That’s always the deal killer for ‘over there’.

Back