Caribou Gear

TB from deer.

Sytes

Tuberculosis is no joking matter. Though this seems very rare. Caution apparently in a few areas of MI (725 cases since 90's) and almost nil for MT. With the new efforts to collect samples for CWD, MT is also testing for TB. rare cases in the 90's, (and '98 for ID) seems around cattle ranches though far few testing for TB, until recent CWD. Imagine we'll hear more of this the more CWD testing expands.

No intent to pull out the hazmat suit to field dress / process however, I will be much more direct with examination of the internal organs. Bit of a PITA as I enjoy gutless, even for deer... Not a fan wearing latex gloves while field dressing and no clue if it would help. I'll have to inquire with the doc (hunter himself).

Anyhow, food for thought this deer season.

Transmission to humans also occurs, as demonstrated by the three cases described in this report; however, the risk for transmission is understudied.

It's been a thing here in Michigan for a while, especially in the eastern portion of the northern lower peninsula. I can remember seeing the pictures on the projector when I went through hunters ed in the mid 90's and I'm pretty sure there is a page or two of the hunting brochure dedicated to it every year.

They have a voluntary test circle to the west of us. We just wear those heavy rubber blue and yellow elbow length cleaning gloves and look for the yellow blisters on the ribs. I personally don't know of anyone who has killed a deer with it, but we are like 250-300 miles from the core area.

Yup - TB is no joking matter, but science and stuff is involved here, so scoffers, need read no further:ROFLMAO:.....
Early 1990's MFWP was quite extensively testing game farm and adjacent lands ungulates for disease. I was involved, collecting and processing samples. I handled a lotta' dead things.....
The dept had TB tests administered to those of us handling the critters and the samples.
My test came back positive. I, as a kid, had not had a prior positive TB test. No way of really (at least I wasn't tested for) knowing if I was exposed to Bovine or human TB. I was administered a drug regimen for latent TB, and went on my merry way continuing handling all kinds of nasty dead and alive wildife species. Apparently my exposure did indeed only result in a positive test and me likely carrying the bacterium. Have never got sick (yet:)).
But indeed, a cautionary tale. Hell, fish can carry a transmissable-to-human mycobacterium. And I've seen a lot of interesting lesions on wild fish.
We who handle critters and there innards, do potentially expose ourselves to nasties...................
Advisable under most circumstances - wear protection;).

Last edited:
Hi Chaps,

Had a bit of a break from this forum but I'm back, and I feel I can add to this thread.

Firstly, this download will help http://www.thedeerinitiative.co.uk/uploads/guides/159.pdf

bTB is a hot potato in the UK at the moment, because our cattle have been infected, when the government vet does a regular scheduled test, should the animal fail, it is slaughtered, even if it is your prize pedigree animal, and the farm put under severe movement restrictions.
They believe they are contracting it from Badgers, so at this moment in time there is a cull of Badgers taking place with government licensed marksmen and live trapping.

I have found bTB in deer, its a notifiable disease in the UK, and it is a PITA if suspected.
Mine was very subtle, I found a puss filled lymph node in the mesenteric chain, when the government vet arrived on-site he found an infected node in the pre scapula.
I ALWAYS use gloves and inspect each and every deer for any disease, this obviously can't be done using the gutless method.
To be honest it's quite difficult for us as hunters to pick it up if care is taken, if the deer is on it's last legs and coughing and spluttering, should it have bTB you put yourself at risk, another way is cutting open a suspect lymph node.
But, you can eat a deer with suspected bTB, as long as it's cooked properly, not that I personally would!

I hope that helps

Cheers

Richard

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jg722
Back