Tag or Refund

recon6036

I had a cow elk tag and made it to the unit only to get evacuated because of Fire, which continues to burn.
I know there are a ton of variables and unknowns right now, but I have to make a decision and submit paperwork for review for a refund on my tag or reserve a tag for next year; same unit/hunt. This needs to occur by the end of this year.
I’ve hunted this unit 4 times and have had good success and would really like to go back next year, but the Elk fire is consuming a lot of acres and is closing in on a few spots I’ve had success.
Some Questions are…again, I’m aware there are a ton of unknown's and variables.
1) Take a refund or reserve a tag for next year?
2) Could the burned areas be good by next year?
3) What is an elk’s response to the active fire/heavy smoke? I assume they bail out of the area or get caught in the fire/smoke
I am keeping track of the fire daily and it appears Mother Nature isn’t going to help in anyway, anytime soon, to put this fire out and spread is obviously going occur.
Bless all those fighting this fire and all those affected.
I’ve been in Law Enforcement for 31 years and I’m also a certified firefighter (17 years) and to see this fire consume the forest was surreal.IMG_3026.jpeg

Last edited:
I think I'm taking a refund and calling it good. I don't know that even a year later, this kind of fire the area is any good.

Tough spot to be in. Although you're fortunate to not have to watch from the front seats.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
george84
Back