MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Tackle, Who's Good, Who Needs Improvement

texwest44

I have to get input from someone else, and I'm trying to be nice as possible. But I feel like there's been a real, noticeable decline in the quality of some fishing gear, tackle specifically. I've been using Zebco monofilament for small/medium fishing my whole life, but these last couple of years I have to re-line my reels at least three times a season. Today, my dad had a regular-size (maybe 14") rainbow pull a swivel open while reeling in, and we lost it along with the hook in its mouth (I fish barbless, hopefully that situation resolves itself).

And for fun, before I hit post just now, I went through some swivels and my new 6lb test I just bought two days ago and been storing in my car because we fish every day, and the swivels barely close (piece that latches in is too short), and my line on the spool snaps in my hands way too easy.

What gives? Can we no longer use regular Zebco and Eagle Claw products? Is it just me? I'm not a fan of fluoro and braided lines, and if I can't trust Eagle Claw, I don't know what to think.

All input is welcome.

Bass/ trout, I have bright braided (Sufix) and a 10' fly fishing tippet, 10# w a small swivel snap (Sampo usually) for my lures and another rigged tippet directly to a single mustad hook for wacky/ other presentation bass plastic worms to Salmon eggs / other trout baits (Berkeley, etc). This is used with my bait and spin reel/rods.

Personally, I'm not a fan of zebco or eagle claw unless simple setup for kids bobber/worm fishing.

The Sufix line has good reviews, but I can cast out close to 100yd line on an 8 foot rod with a 7g-10g lure, so the 100yd spool for $10-$12 might not suit my needs (and seems almost prohibitively expensive). Though I will still probably try it, I could just fill the reel with backing.

And I don't think I'd even put Zebco on a kid's reel now, it degrades way faster than it used to and seems unusable after a few days out.

Kast King for me. Have their reels, fishing lines, and sunglasses. All work very well and arent expensive. Use braided for the main spool, for inland I use fluoro leaders.

Do away with the mono. I only use braid. There's literally no benefit to mono, other than it's cheap. Braid will last a few years. And I'm fishing 3 days a week at a minimum. 10lb braid to a 6-15lb floro leader depending on what I'm fishing for.

Eagle claw is fine, but get stainless ball bearing swivels. They work the best by far. Brand doesn't seem to matter.

There is a lot of crap for sale, that’s for sure. I haven’t been able to find a brand of split shot sinkers that is worth a darn lately. Monofilament line definitely has its uses. I have been using Berkley Trilene for years now, no reason to switch. When I troll for pike and lake trout I use Sufix Performance braid. It’s expensive but when I’m trolling $25 jakes and granny’s I don’t want to mess with crap line. For swivels and other terminal tackle Spro is the best. Lake trout are really hard on terminal tackle. I lost a big pike last summer when my swivel broke, I wasn’t using a Spro for some stupid reason. I wasn’t mad about losing the pike, they’ll be plenty of others, but I was pissed about losing my last gold granny. A half way decent reel costs a lot of money unfortunately but a good reel sure makes life easier.

I am going to the tackle shop today to look at this Sufix and Trilene, and have a chat with the guy who runs the place to see what he says. I appreciate the recommendations.

This ^^^

Worth the $ if available to spend.

I've been using Quantum Optix reels for spin fishing for the better part of 10 years and have been pretty happy with them. I've mostly noticed the decline in line, hooks, split shots, certain lures, etc. Rods and reels still seem to be manufactured well enough, luckily.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MidwestSniper03
Back