Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Suppressor questions

tom338

I am somewhat interested in a suppressor. But I want to set it up so my wife, son and grandsons can also use it. My grandsons are to young to hunt yet, oldest just turned 8. Can I put them on the paperwork so when they get old enough to hunt they can use the suppressor??

You apply with a trust rather than individual so you can add them to the trust. Find a dealer that uses the silencershop kiosk scheme. They will explain.

I am somewhat interested in a suppressor. But I want to set it up so my wife, son and grandsons can also use it. My grandsons are too young to hunt yet, oldest just turned 8. Can I put them on the paperwork so when they get old enough to hunt they can use the suppressor??
This is not a substitute for real legal advice, but my understanding is that all “beneficiaries” of the trust each have to meet all the requirements of all state and federal laws to possess the items in the trust. So I take that to mean you have to add them after they can pass NFA rules and state suppressor rules - so minors can’t be included.

Ok,Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. Makes getting a suppressor that much less attractive for me. Fire_9 I was didn't know that. That does make a little difference

People way over think this. I buy them as an individual. The last one was a three day turnaround. Anybody can use it as long as I am with them. And I believe only the ATF can ask for any paperwork work from you. It's not like they are lying in the bushes everywhere waiting to check on you, hoping to toss you in jail.

Get one, save your ears and have the time of your life, especially if it is a 22 bolt action.

My son and I are avid hunters who also have deprivation permits. Admittingly we are just getting into the suppressed world however, the benefits are already showing. Your ears will thank you as well as any neighbors that may be nearby.

...I believe only the ATF can ask for any paperwork work from you. It's not like they are lying in the bushes everywhere waiting to check on you, hoping to toss you in jail...
Are you sure? Because I've like, heard stuff, about the ATF. :p

Ok,Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. Makes getting a suppressor that much less attractive for me. Fire_9 I was didn't know that. That does make a little difference
I would assume the minors would have you present when in use.

I bought my first and second suppressor in a trust with me as the only member. I have since added my wife and two sons once they were 18 to the trust.

Trusts aren’t complicated. The trust allows my son to use the suppressed rifles without my presence. The trust also transfers ownership of the suppresor to other trust beneficiaries. Otherwise, my family would have to complete ATF steps to keep the suppressor.

Might I suggest getting one for a rimfire. The young ones will be able to learn quicker when they are not intimidated by the sound and can hear instructions at any time. They bring so much to the plinking experience.

Getting one for a hunting rifle right now offers the same benefits too. Just a generic suggestion is a 30 cal, if in a straight wall area then get something suitable. A 300 BLK is very low recoil and considered adequate for white tailed deer. As things progress it’ll easily swap to another more powerful rifle <.30.

10 years is along time in the current political environment. They might become simple to acquire or impossible. No reason to wait in either case.

My first post was obviously a poor attempt at humor.

On the serious side when I get around to doing the legal stuff, it sounds like trust even if I am solo on it is the best option. Are there cost differences in applying solo on a trust versus individual? I get adding people is extra expense.

Thanks!

On the serious side when I get around to doing the legal stuff, it sounds like trust even if I am solo on it is the best option. Are there cost differences in applying solo on a trust versus individual? I get adding people is extra expense.

Thanks!
Well you’ve got lawyers unless you go thru something like silencer central. There is a time cost, it takes more time to process. Now if it’s only you, it may go quickly, going through the big outfits seems to go smoothly as well.

ATF doesn’t charge more I don’t believe. It’s those who are doing the service, more photos, more prints, more filling out forms.

Thanks!
No cost difference. I don’t remember any costs adding people to the trust.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back Tracker
Back