PEAX Equipment

Stone Glacier pack or Exo Mtn and Why ?

Trigger50

Gonna upgrade to a better frame pack. I've narrowed it down to SG or EXO, although Initial Accent is a close 3rd. Just looking for real facts why you prefer 1 or the other. No emotional bias please. Thanks

I also switched to an Exo , which rides much better than my previous pack. Lumbar pad feels good on my lower back, the water bottle holder angle is perfect for removing and replacing my Nalgene bottle. The tie points are positioned perfectly so you don’t have to use a ton of straps to hold down a quarter animal. Hopes this helps

I love my EXO K3 but never tried a SG. Biggest thing is to try before you buy if possible but that will depend on whether you know someone who already has one. Exo’s videos on how to measure yourself and then set up the pack post purchase are good resources.

You will likely be satisfied with either. I chose Exo K3 4800 (Born and Raised edition) due to a close friend having the SG and saying he would not purchase the same pack again for the price he paid. It was more due to the size I think he had the largest one and he said it stuck too far above his head and would catch on branches etc. I hunt similarly to him. I sold the K3 to get the K4 5000. Satisfied EXO customer here, zero complaints.

I went exo k3 after a lot of comparing them. There were features of both I really liked. I liked some of the pockets and organization of the exo more for the type of hunting I did so that was a big part of what helped my decision. I think for most people it’s hard to go wrong with any of the top end packs

I've used both. SG are a little lighter. I like Exo as a company better.

I've used both. Settled on EXO years ago and love it.

My k3 with a 4800 has been the best pack I have owned. I believe its a sweet spot of lightweight and durability. The SG seems a little thin to me and the MR a little heavy.
I also have a 6300? Bag I think and it's a fast easy switch when needed.
Customer service was excellent with exo. Not only do you talk to a person but you talk to the people who are handling and using the products. I called whe I needed a smaller belt they were excellent.

I have the MR metcalf. I really enjoy this pack. Tried a few and really depends on the person themselves. Have friend that lent me his exo and other lent me kuiu. Didn't find either very comfortable. I tried a MR my cousin had and felt amazing. His was much older. Mine has the guide lite frame and it's a perfect match for me. Funny me and my buddies all dislike each other's packs and love ours. Just have to try a few and see what fits you. Try empty and with weight in before you make a choice.

I believe there are a top 4 in packs- Exo, SG, Kifaru and Initial Ascent. I’m partial to Exo, but wouldn’t fault anyone for choosing one of the others. My buddy has a Kifaru and loves it. I’m most likely an Exo customer for life.

I’ve used a MR metcalf for about 7 years. It’s been a good pack but just never had liked to stay on my hips. I finally upgraded this year and went with the exo k4. I wasted far too much time trying to decide and I don’t think you can go wrong with either. It sure seems like if pack weight is a concern guys prefer the SG and if pack weight is not a concern guys prefer the exo.

I have an Exo K3 and have zero complaints. Highly recommend. I don't have any experience with Stone Glacier, but have been curious about them.

I have a friend who was in a similar situation as you. He bought a pack from each company to compare side by side, made his decision, then sent the one he didn't want back. If you're going to spend that kind of money on something, I suggest you think about doing the same. Everyone's body is different and just because my Exo works great for me doesn't mean it will be great for you.

Stone Glacier's return policy reads (in part):
"If you purchased a pack, we suggest you fit it properly upon receiving it by loading the pack with 30lbs. - 40lbs. to ensure it is comfortable, fits properly, and meets your expectations."

Exo's return policy states:
"If you decide for any reason to return your pack within that 30 days, we will be glad to accept your return and issue a full refund when you ship the pack back to us in “like new” resellable condition."

It might cost you a few bucks in return shipping, but I think that is money well spent to ensure you get something you are going to be happy with.

Good luck!

Ive been using an Exo since the K2 came out. Am in a K3 now and will, one day, upgrade to the K4. I've packed elk once and pronghorn and deer many many times. I've also used the same frame and bag for many training hikes. Ive used their smallest up to the largest volume bags. Ive had a couple issues that were always addressed. One was squeaking and the other was the way the lumbar pad fit. The squeaking came from a dirty pack so I cleaned it. The lumbar pad was squishy and when the came out with the hard foam insert it felt perfect. I like the innovation that is always moving the designs and durability forward.
With all that said I have bought and sold Kifaru packs. They just dont fit me the same.
I used a friends SG for elk hunting last year as I wanted to see the difference. I returned that pack and am back to my K3. Excellent pack. with the K4 the fitting options or numerous. Awesome people to work with as well!

I haven't had experience with SG. I have a EXO K3 4800 (almost purchased a Kuiu pack instead). Functionality, Fit, and Quality are next level. It took me a bit to dial in the pack, but works great now. As others have mentioned previous, EXO is a great company and great company to work with.

I have the k3 and a k4 prototype, both are great. The customer service has made me a client for life. I have no experience with SG.

Before yesterday I would have said stone glacier. I had a strap wear through and took it in to see if they would warranty it. They said they would not warranty it because it had rubbed on their gun sling attachment I had put on several years ago. So much for unconditional lifetime warranty. Ended up having to buy a whole new waist strap. They did give me 45% off. however, in my opinion they should have warrantied it. In the future, next time I need a new pack I’ll be going to a company that will stand behind their products.

Also have some stone glacier socks, they’ve worn out in a ridiculously short amount of time. After they sold to the giant company I fear they may be going downhill.

Back