Spokane's legendary White Elephant stores to close.

44hunter45

The end of an era for Spokane. They were a really fun store and often had handloading supplies I could not get anywhere else.

I used to live in Moscow, ID...
the White Elephant in Spokane and a store in Lewiston (Black Sheep?) were my main sources for reloading supplies.

the White Elephant in Spokane and a store in Lewiston (Black Sheep?) were my main sources for reloading supplies.
Another Vandal.Eh?

Sadly, Black Sheep Lewiston location is now gone too. They are going strong in a new flagship store in CDA.
Tri-State Outfitters in Moscow rode out the stay at home order closures and they are back open now.

I loved that place as a kid. We always stopped there after making our annual trip across US 10 to Spokane from a little east of Coeur d’Alene (I didn’t get out much at that time 😀).

Say it isn’t so! :( I loved that place. Always stopped there every time we were going through town, without fail

The end of an era for Spokane. They were a really fun store and often had handloading supplies I could not get anywhere else.

I grew up shopping there with my dad. At 16, I bought my first Leupold there, Vari-X II 2-7. I'll miss that place. End of an era.

This brings back memories of trips to Spokane with my parents, I can still hear my Mom saying "we'll have to see if we can find one the next time we go to the White Elephant." Then we'd eat "dick burgers" and my Dad would be amazed without fail at how the servers never wrote an order down.

Another Vandal.Eh?

Sadly, Black Sheep Lewiston location is now gone too. They are going strong in a new flagship store in CDA.
Tri-State Outfitters in Moscow rode out the stay at home order closures and they are back open now.
Yes I purchased an Idaho lifetime hunting license when I move to Alaska 28 years ago, so hope to come back to visit for deer hunting now that I am retired.

Back in 1994 I applied for a part time job at Husky's Sport shop. A gas station with sporting goods and video rentals. Worked an afternoon on the register, and he decided I wasn't a good fit...

Funny thing is my first assignment with the employer I have now for 22 years was to build the retail store end of the business, basically from scratch. Hmm how times change....

Dang, we used to cross the border just to go there when i was growing up. That's too bad. A true institution. I still have my first ever fly rod i got there back when i was like 13.

What about the White Elephant in Spokane Valley? The downtown one had the way cool factor but the one in Spokane Valley was a good 2nd.

The part that saddens me is the lack of succession planning to continue to keep an independent retailer going.

The couple who owns it simply has the real estate value (which is akin to an empty lot if going to a developer) and the discounted inventory, 25-50 % of which is going to be "dead stock" sold at a loss.

Had they had someone in the wings like a manager to take it over they could have sold them the inventory on payments, and rented them the building over time to stretch out the cash flow.

I'm no CPA but aside from a 1031 exchange the tax hit on closing out the inventory could be pretty steep. I mean what are they going to use as a basis? The post war start up cost?

I've seen businesses who managed to leverage the historical nature of the business name and location and position themselves in a more profitable retail sector. The Lumberyard that became a hardware store and clothing, the Junkyard that became a "sustainable salvage showroom" , the feedmill that became a pet supply, etc...

I suppose no one wants to see a business they built and (watched decline) taken over by someone and run better and more profitably so they just liquidate everything.

Every shopping trip to Spokane started with a stop at the White Elephant. Wonder what they will do with all those dusty piles of Expo 74 ashtrays?

Back in 1994 I applied for a part time job at Husky's Sport shop. A gas station with sporting goods and video rentals. Worked an afternoon on the register, and he decided I wasn't a good fit...

Funny thing is my first assignment with the employer I have now for 22 years was to build the retail store end of the business, basically from scratch. Hmm how times change....
That's great! My dad bought me my first hunting license there in 1979. Darrell was a grouchy sort even back then.

Advertisement

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Outside Junkie
Back