Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Rangefinding binoculars

brockel

Wanting to jump into the rangefinding binocular game and think I’ve narrowed it down to these three. For those that have looked through these which do you prefer? Looking at the meopta optika 8x50, Swarovski EL range 8x42, and the Leica Geovid R 8x42. Anyone spent any time behind these?

Wanting to jump into the rangefinding binocular game and think I’ve narrowed it down to these three. For those that have looked through these which do you prefer? Looking at the meopta optika 8x50, Swarovski EL range 8x42, and the Leica Geovid R 8x42. Anyone spent any time behind these?
If I was a dialer I would get a pair that give you your dope. You’re going to end up there anyway. Range, dial, shoot. I have had a couple leica 10x42 rangefinding binoculars over the last 20 years. Good optics, solid rangefinder, and go down to 10 yards unlike the divorski. I have never had a reason to switch off them but I mostly bowhunt and holdover with a tree reticle on coyotes

I’ve looked through a decent cross section of the options on the market with the exception of the ones that have come out this year. The Swaro’s are the first pair that I’ve double checked were rangefinding bino’s after looking through them, definitely my favorite I’ve tried from an optical perspective, but I’ve never been especially impressed with the laser.

Your use case is apparently different, but I want on board ballistics these days. I like my Revic’s very much for my general use, but they’re still a step behind the good non-RF binos optically. I’m personally interested to get hands on with the Vector X’s…

I wish Leopold and/or Swarovski (or anyone for that matter) made range finding binoculars that has the display in the left-eye piece. They all make them to display in the right-eye. I had an eye injury when I was younger … legally blind in the right-eye.

If I was a dialer I would get a pair that give you your dope. You’re going to end up there anyway. Range, dial, shoot. I have had a couple leica 10x42 rangefinding binoculars over the last 20 years. Good optics, solid rangefinder, and go down to 10 yards unlike the divorski. I have never had a reason to switch off them but I mostly bowhunt and holdover with a tree reticle on coyotes
Boils down to this- do you want the ballistic capabilities or not?

Over the last 5 years I’ve hunted with the EL Range TA, Geovid 3200, and Zeiss Victory.

Optics: Swaro>Leica=Zeiss
Rangefinder: Leica>>Zeiss>Swaro

I’ve ranged 3350 yards with the Leica, which is ridiculous, but I’ve found it real handy for getting those long ranges and knowing if I can get to a knob or ridge that’s a mile and a half away still, I can get within 4-500 yards. The Zeiss would give me reliable ranges out to about 12-1400 yards. The swaro struggled on animal sized objects past 700 yards on both the 8x and 10x models I used.

If I didn’t need or want the ballistics part, I’d look hard at the Optika LR’s.

If you are willing to fork out the $ for Swaro EL Range you might look at the Leica Govid Pro. They are a better RF than the -R.

@brockel Will you follow up and let me know how you like the 3200.COM's? I have been eyeing them hard, especially since I can find some 10x42 in some classifieds for under $2k. I use Vortex Razor HD right now so I am assuming they would be a step up optically..

@brockel Will you follow up and let me know how you like the 3200.COM's? I have been eyeing them hard, especially since I can find some 10x42 in some classifieds for under $2k. I use Vortex Razor HD right now so I am assuming they would be a step up optically..
Will do. They should be here Friday.

Eurooptics has the 10x42 for $1999 right now new.

So far off the back porch the glass is phenomenal in them. Easily ranged a cottonwood tree at 2186 yards in about half a second. The only issue I have is they don’t fit my original bino harness so I’ll have to sell mine and order a new one.

Edited to add a picture at 45 minutes after sunset. It’s not the best picture as I was free handing the binos and my phone but I’m highly impressed at the light gathering of these binos
AFD17031-BA6A-4B51-96E5-7E2ACE056566.jpeg

Last edited:
Love my Geovid's. Had the original model and upgraded about five years ago. Both models have been great. I think you will really enjoy them.

Got to compare them with a friends Swarovski el range and neither one of us to our eyes could tell a difference in glass right at dusk. The Leica rangefinder blew the Swarovski away though. He’s going to be selling his Swarovskis and getting the leicas with the sale Eurooptics has going on

I like mine. They are only the 2200 model but do the ballistics and all that stuff. They have the best glass of any binocular I have ever looked through. (I haven't looked through the NL Pures intentionally so I don't end up wanting to get a pair).

I find them very ergonomic with the odd angled shape of the barrel but it works well for me.

About the only negative is they are a bit large for a 10x42 binocular, they were too large for my FHF bino case and I've tried a few others and still am not 100% happy with that setup.

Also you have to use the strap type deal to hold them for tripod use. I tend to just free hand them using some impromptu rest like a tree or rock or something but I need to get a setup to use on a tripod with them.

About the only negative is they are a bit large for a 10x42 binocular, they were too large for my FHF bino case and I've tried a few others and still am not 100% happy with that setup.

I had to end up going with the Kuiu xl harness to fit mine. There’s a couple things I’d change but so far I like it

I love mine. I have the Meopta 10X42. I had the 2nd gen Leica Geovids and the optics were horrible when glassing into the sun, the washout was incredible. I replaced them with a pair of SIG's for a year and the optics was a huge step up from the 2nd gen Leica but I hated the ergonomics of the SIG's. I still at times use a stand alone rangefinder for some things but I find for certain hunts such as muzzle loading where you have to sometimes get ranging done in a hurry the binos are fast and handy to get a range and get it back out of your shooting hands. Most rifle shots that would even require getting a range you are not pressed for time like a bow or muzz shot.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zztopman1
Back