Socks!

mxracer317

In the past I've used SmartWool, Wright Sock and Darn Tough. All great options.

I lean more towards the Wright Sock in Merino because of their anti-blister guarantee.

What socks are you guys using for Western deer and elk hunts, and do you prefer crew, mid-height, or over the calf?

Smartwool has been far less durable than Darn Tough for me. I like DT and prefer over the calf because my boots rub if I go crew height. That being said, I have a good friend who guides up in Alaska, and he swears by Alpaca socks. I'm not sure which brand, but I do plan on trying them out at some point.

I may have to try Darn Tough again. I had some that shrunk up really bad. I love my Smart Wool though and have had great luck with them. Hard to justify buying Smart Wool seconds vs retail Darn Toughs.

I think every pair of socks I own are smartwool

I wear the Kenetrek liners and then either the Canada mid weight and Alaska heavy weight versions depending on the temperature. Over the calf for sure for me. They have been perfect for me in TX, NM, and MT.

I really like DT too, but I'm thinking of going back to Wright Socks for the double lining anti blister. Has anyone else used them and can comment?

I’ve got a variety of Darn Tough, Smartwool and Wright Socks. Recently upped my stock of Wright Socks after meeting their head of sales on a flight to NC where they are based. He noticed I was wearing some and said he’d send me more if I gave home my address. 6 pairs showed up about a week later.

I generally wear thin socks for both skiing and hunting/hiking, and have had issues with Smartwool pilling up and wearing out quicker than Darn Tough and Wright Socks. The Wright socks are a bit heavier, so only to be expected that they last longer. All 3 perform well for me otherwise. I don’t put any of them in the dryer, so haven’t had issues with shrinking.

Darn Tough for me. I have a few pairs that I have recycled through on the lifetime warranty at least 3 times. Lots of miles tend to wear any socks I wear at the balls of my feet. When they get threadbare, I send them back.

Hot weather: darn tough vermont 2100 or tactical 3001/3005
85% of time, the single best sock I have found: smartwool hike full cushion.
Extreme cold: if lots of hiking smartwool max mountaineer, more stationery kenetrek glaciers.

All are boot or crew height, don't care for anything OTC

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishonfleek
Back