S’mores

perma

My wife and I were scouting last week and riding around in our newly purchased UTV. I’d promised her I’d take her camping a year ago and the only trip we tried to go on ended terribly with me getting a nasty migraine.

Fast forward, we came back from the top and decided to start a fire. This is her highlight of the trip, she loves the fires. To sweeten the experience (quite literally) she had received a care package from her sister on a used s’mores kit from their camping trip. Never knew they sold a lot but cool, makes sense.

This is where I lost her. I get up to go and find a stick to sharpen for the marshmellow. I get back and she has a metal skewer happily toasting her marshmellow. I didn’t think anything of it and started to sharpen my stick with my RMEF Benchmade knife.

She gave me an appalled look and wondered what on earth I was doing. I explained that I wasn’t aware that her kit came with a skewer and had assumed I needed to make a tool suitable for marshmellow toasting. For context, it was a willow branch next to a river that was stiff and wet enough to not catch fire. Her parents used to overpack for camp so they never had to rely on the land for small things like that, so I was told.

She started to ask where I learned to do that and why I did that. It had then occurred to me that I never really used to have s’mores as a kid. And the ones that I did, they were roasted over a stove with a fork. For some reason, I’d convinced myself and my wife that was I was doing was something I’ve done all my life, but had realized that this was the first time I’d ever done that. We never had s’mores growing up, really.

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.

Dude wow yeah the metal skewer thing is still weird in my brain and we’re not far off in age! I’ve always had to sharpen sticks for mallows and then I’d get in trouble for playing with it in the fire! Dad would say he ain’t sharpening another for me!

Wow! I am sorry. Looking back that must be so traumatizing to know that you did not have s’mores as a child. I think there is a National hotline for that kind of traumatic experience.

When I was a kid, we would roast marshmallows over a campfire but never made S'mores. I think my dad was too cheap to spring for the graham crackers and chocolate. When my kids were growing up, we made tons of S'mores. The only problem is that I learned at a young age that I don't like roasted marshmallows and I don't like graham crackers. So, for me the best part has always been whittling the roasting stick.

That and the chocolate. So might as well just eat a Reese's or two and call it good

We went camping alot when I was a kid. We still go camping a lot with my kids.

We often have smores at our house, well just because.

I don't recall not having smores.

Often one of the first items on our packing list, or to go in the dry box is "s'more stuff."

We do use metal skewers though. We live in the desert and often dry camp, so not much for willows around.

Are you sure you're american. Haha

My wife has been making homemade marshmallows and graham crackers for our smores. Those with a peanut butter cup is amazing

Do go on sir. I'm enthralled with possibilities. Isn't it too much for a smore? Too much candy for not enough mallow?!?
Oh no, the snack size is perfect! Need is the Mother of Invention….Bear Camp in Montana w my grandson a few years back…ran out of Hersheys, only had snickers left, the rest of the story is that’s the only way we do smores now!!

Kenetrek Boots

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CodyL
Back