Caribou Gear

Smoke and visibility

Hyhunter

Does anyone have any recommended apps or websites they go to that accurately describe visibility for the on the ground hunter (glassing)?

Wish they'd have it on the big hunting apps. Really impacts my scouting efforts when visibility is poor. Hard to ID at a couple miles. Been out looking for rams, finally start finding some sheep and this smoke moves in.

I don't know of one that shows specifics but there are a handful of sites that show where some smoke is coming from. There could be daily inversions that clear smoke in localized areas. For example, a storm blew through SW MT last night that cleared the smoke out and we have beautiful visibility that 24hrs ago, I couldn't see 1/2 mile and maps are showing poor air quality and heavy smoke

Thanks, that atleast that has more data points than others I've found. I'm in co and understanding the smoke is coming from the pnw. Had hoped it would clear now and then.
Find myself right now wishing I knew where was what since my sheep tag is in one area of state and other tags are completely different areas. Sheep I'm learning if visibility is very poor not much use glassing.

Not sure about maps or apps but depending on where you’re hunting might check city/news live view cameras? Ideally you could find one with the mountain range you want to scout in the background.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clinebj22
Back