Sitka Gear Optifade Cover

Sleeping peacefully in griz country

Dude. You have to be kidding me. Just a few that come to mind; everyone of these folks minded (most) given precautions, followed protocols, respected generally-accepted bear-proofing. All attacked in tents.

Brigitta Fredenhagen: Pelican Trail & Astringent region of Yellowstone. Tent ripped into & girl's body pulled with frightening tidiness right out of her tent sleeping bag. Partially consumed.

Leah David Lokan: attacked in her tent in the backyard of Library/Museum in downtown Ovando, Montana. Bear-spray can emptied. Tent wrecked, mauled to death.

Doug Inglis, Jenny Gusse & their dog: Banff Nat'l. Park. Killed once in tent for the night. Shoes were off. Consumed in their pajamas & socked feet.

... And then there's good ole' Colin McLelland, logger in the Waughs who was inside an RV camper & a bear ripped the door right off & ate the guy even after getting shot.

But "as far as you know" a tent's always been a barrier? Again. Please be careful w/ your words; we don't want statements like "As far as I know there has never been a person attacked in a tent by a grizzly," which is reckless and irresponsibly false, to get spread about. A grizz who's hungry & committed isn't gonna respect a thin piece of cloth or tarp. Let's be careful about what we say on here.

And, respectfully, everyone on here who's saying things like, "I sleep fine in grizz country, I've never had a problem" is also being irresponsible because they're just lucky a bear hasn't gotten 'em yet. It's not cuz they're so tough that they get the credit for not gotten eaten alive yet; they just haven't had the wrong bear come their way, plain and simple. You can sleep w/ your spray in one hand and gun in the other & you might not get a shot of either off before a bear gets you. Or you might get a shot of both off & a bear can still maul ya.

Let's please be careful with our language on here. Younger campers are already ridiculously arrogant and foolhardy, not disciplined & often think they're invincible. Ain't none of us invincible in grizz country. Even the best shot or the most experienced outdoorsman. If a grizz wants us, we're gone. We spend time in their habitat only at high risk. If we win the roulette a few times let's not pretend that's our doing. Yes, precautions help, but people been killed even with extremely sensible precautions. Okay i'm done just wanted to say that.
He’s right. You MFers better stay out of grizzly country, especially this coming weekend in Montana. They will eat you and crunch your bones. Hunt elk elsewhere.

Dude. You have to be kidding me. Just a few that come to mind; everyone of these folks minded (most) given precautions, followed protocols, respected generally-accepted bear-proofing. All attacked in tents.

Brigitta Fredenhagen: Pelican Trail & Astringent region of Yellowstone. Tent ripped into & girl's body pulled with frightening tidiness right out of her tent sleeping bag. Partially consumed.

Leah David Lokan: attacked in her tent in the backyard of Library/Museum in downtown Ovando, Montana. Bear-spray can emptied. Tent wrecked, mauled to death.

Doug Inglis, Jenny Gusse & their dog: Banff Nat'l. Park. Killed once in tent for the night. Shoes were off. Consumed in their pajamas & socked feet.

... And then there's good ole' Colin McLelland, logger in the Waughs who was inside an RV camper & a bear ripped the door right off & ate the guy even after getting shot.

But "as far as you know" a tent's always been a barrier? Again. Please be careful w/ your words; we don't want statements like "As far as I know there has never been a person attacked in a tent by a grizzly," which is reckless and irresponsibly false, to get spread about. A grizz who's hungry & committed isn't gonna respect a thin piece of cloth or tarp. Let's be careful about what we say on here.

And, respectfully, everyone on here who's saying things like, "I sleep fine in grizz country, I've never had a problem" is also being irresponsible because they're just lucky a bear hasn't gotten 'em yet. It's not cuz they're so tough that they get the credit for not gotten eaten alive yet; they just haven't had the wrong bear come their way, plain and simple. You can sleep w/ your spray in one hand and gun in the other & you might not get a shot of either off before a bear gets you. Or you might get a shot of both off & a bear can still maul ya.

Let's please be careful with our language on here. Younger campers are already ridiculously arrogant and foolhardy, not disciplined & often think they're invincible. Ain't none of us invincible in grizz country. Even the best shot or the most experienced outdoorsman. If a grizz wants us, we're gone. We spend time in their habitat only at high risk. If we win the roulette a few times let's not pretend that's our doing. Yes, precautions help, but people been killed even with extremely sensible precautions. Okay i'm done just wanted to say that.
Dude we get it you have baranoia.

4 people out of 100,000s of nights spent in tents by 100,000s of people. Seems super common. So common in fact I'm done going into the woods.

I would suggest you move into a bunker as well and hope a bear doesn't rip the door off.

Glad you found Google.

You also forgot about the one in ANWR who was killed in her tent.

Kenetrek Boots

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLS
Back