NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Sleeping bag for alaska

Preacher shaner

I am having some problems packing. I will be in Alaska 9/11-9/27.
I have a wiggys-20 bag, it takes up a LOT of room. If I buy a lower temp,cheaper bag, I easily get everything in my two checked bags. Money is getting a little tight at this point and I am 11 days away. New 15 degree but cheap or take the wiggys.
It will be a base camp along the Yukon river.

Is that the only bag you currently have? What kind of temps and elevations are you expecting? I'm assuming some high humidity levels since you'll be along the river?

It’s like record moisture also in that county right now

If you are setting up a base camp and really it doesn't matter once you're there, I'd just bring what you have. If you are moving a few times, I would get a 15deg bag. Lots of deals for end of summer. Wiggys bags are nice, but they are for truck camping.

Cheap bags tend to over estimate their ratings, or used to. I've had good luck with REI and Mountain Hardware bags. Reasonably priced, and pretty warm.

Moose hunting can be enjoyable 30-50deg or cold and damp where nothing ever dries out. I've always used down bags and never had an issue in over 20 years, but I'm careful. The only issue I had was being soaked and crawling into a down bag to warm up thinking my cloths would dry out. Well they did and my bag soaked up the moisture. It took for ever for the down to dry out again. Having a floorless tent and water running around my pad didn't help. Not a fan of floorless tents in some conditions.

Good luck on your hunt!

assuming you have it in a compression sack already, right? get a bigger checked bag, or strap it to your carry on. -20 is overkill, but an inexpensive 15 degree bag isn't going to save that much space or weight - 2lbs at most. Get creative with the packing - fill your boots with clothes, fill your gun/bow case with clothes - they work as good as shock absorber foam i think. you also could use it as your small personal item and stuff it under the seat on the plane?

I nearly froze on an AK bear hunt because I took a lightweight bag to save space. Had to sleep in it with a bunch of clothes on.

Im more worried about how warm it’s gonna be and having meat hang for 8 days

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BradenBowhunter148
Back