Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Sell me a quilt

Take a look at the Western mountaineering semi rectangular bags. They unzip to a secondary zipper on the foot box which allows you to run it as a quilt, a closed foot box quilt, or a big roomy traditional bag. I have the terralite 25 and love that thing. Its super light, super warm, and has plenty of room to move/roll around inside when fully zipped.

If you are still in the market for one .... I have one that I just don't use anymore. Send me a message if interested. It's a 10 degree Enlightened quilt

Last edited:
I have 20 degree EE quilt, with the right pad can get me sleeping well from about 35ish on up… doenst weight much at all. The pad attachments been decent as well…held up to hard use way better than i expected.

I haven’t seen it mentioned here, but I bought an El Coyote 10 degree last year. Quality is excellent, great customer service, American made, and I slept into the lower teens this winter and was plenty warm in it. I highly recommend them.

I have an El Coyote 20 degree that I picked up about 4 years ago. Absolutely love the bag and the customer service is fantastic. You can have it custom made with whatever colors and size you want and they make the process extremely simple.

Just make sure you get a good pad with a high R value.

Slept in a hammock at 12000 ft last week with a hammock gear 10 degree top and under quilt and roasted alive. Man I love hammock camping

Do share your setup!
I've had a bunch of them, several that I like. It's been a bit of a rabbit hole for me.
I've had my best comfort with hammocks between 10 and 11 ft in length, gathered end, and a moderately stout material, like a Hexon 1.6 or a 70d nylon. Always have a fixed ridgeline at about 80% of the overall hammock length. Easiest suspension has been a polyester strap and cinch buckles. Being a gram weenie I use titanium buckles from Dutchware. I've done all sorts of things with bug nets, but prefer a zippered integrated bug net. Sometimes I'll use a hammock without a bugnet and just use a headnet. I like a down top quilt with a sewn footbox. For an underquilt, I like a down 3/4 quilt. I've found no value in the full length underquilt and the 3/4 saves some ounces. I've also found that I like attaching the underquilt to some d-loops sewn in at the right connection points on the hammock, with a bit of shock cord to attach it. Then I know it's a perfect fit and I don't have to mess with a bunch of adjustments. I have a variety of tarps, usually a sil-poly or sil-nylon. Size depends on circumstances.

I think I have a half dozen different hammocks right now. They aren't overly expensive and I like that I can adapt them to whatever the situation is.

I've also had a couple of bridge hammocks. I liked them but the gathered end ones are simpler, lighter, and more comfortable.

Seems like the overall key is getting the right suspension angles for a mostly flay lay at an angle, and the right top and underquilt to be comfortable.

Hammocks aren't for everyone, but I definitely prefer them.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back Tracker
Back