Advertisement

Second times a charm, AK treated me well!

gonhunting247

I'll start by saying I've been blessed to hunt the great state of AK a fair amount. With 3 sisters living in AK, I have more hunting opportunities than a lot of folks. I have successfully hunted sheep, goat, moose, grizzly, black bear etc.. That said I have been successful on small caribou, but never a really nice mature bull. I drew a a special hunt tag in 2018, but struck out on caribou after a long grueling adventure. We saw a grand total of 2 caribou on the last day, but they were a few miles and a couple drainages over and we were down to our last day. I did luck out and shoot a nice blueberry fed black bear on the hike back out. I wouldn't want to come out without something to pack on our 7+ miles out :).
Fast forward to this years draws and low and behold I drew it again! After a few calls and some conversation with folks here, we decided we'd try to access some area quite a ways up the drainage from the first go around in "18"
The area we would be hunting is a restricted travel area, with no use of wheeled or tracked vehicles to access or for retrieval of big game. We would be using my brother-in-laws little plane, which are allowed with the mandatory wait time before hunting after flying, and then hiking in. We knew from the first trip this was going to be physically challenging. But, I was determined to make the most of the opportunity.
Some pics from trip #1 and the fat little blueberry fed black bear that took the place of my missing caribou!DSCN3049.JPGDSC03169.JPGDSCN3061.JPGDSCN3071.JPGDSCN3086.JPG

Last edited:
It will take me a few days to write the story and round up the pics, but I will try stay at it through out the next few days.
As it always seems to be when hunting AK for us, we had a ton of anticipation and preparation before even setting foot in the unit. Randy (my brother-in-law) was all in to help me find a nice mature bull and I can't thank him enough for always being game to participate in these adventures whether it's my tag or his!
Dates were confirmed for the trip and airline tickets were purchased. I'd arrive in anchorage August 25th and have until September 7 to be ready to catch the plane home to Oregon. We were skipping the first two weeks of season to leave Randy an opportunity to try and get out on a sheep hunt he'd been thinking about, but we were trying to get there early enough to have some top quality meat before the rut really kicked in. I was optimistic and brought a big cooler with a fish box and my clothes all stuffed inside it. Hopefully I'd need all the room for meat, cape etc. on the way home. I stuffed all the gear I could in my rifle case also. I definitely need some work on the lightweight packing :). At the airport I took a pic of my parking spot so I could find my car when I got back and I was off on another great adventure!20240824_185820.jpg20240825_033506.jpg

The area we would be hunting is about 4 hours from Randy's house in Palmer, so after a quick stop at Fish and Game to purchase my locking tag and make sure all my paperwork was in order, we went right to work on getting gear and supplies sorted and packed. The biggest project would be breaking the plane down to load it on the trailer for the trip up north. Randy has built and rebuilt this plane several times it seems with each time making marked improvements on horsepower, landing gear upgrades wider fuselage, bigger wings, prop pitch, belly pod etc. etc. To me it's a work of art and I am amazed at the engineering every time I ride in it. That said it is a small plane and with the ability to fold the wings and trailer it, we can usually save some time and alleviate some of the stress that comes with unpredictable weather in the passes required to cross if he flew all the way. Not to mention we can bring a lot more back up supplies to leave at the truck!
We would trailer it to base camp (public strip) put it back together, then fly in to a remote strip as close as we could find to our desired destination, put up the bear fence around the plane, tie it down and travel on foot from there, the rest of the way to the area we wanted to hunt. 20240825_182353.jpg20240826_134050.jpg20240901_184732.jpg

We made great time and with just a little delay to visit with a AK State Trooper about some trailer lights that were being finicky. We visited with him a bit about hunting and were on our way. After a good sleep for the night and some freeze dried breakfast and coffee, it was time to set the plane back up, sort gear for the trip in and get ready for the next leg of the journey. But, as AK weather has a way of doing, we were grounded. The wind was pretty bad and after checking the weather, visiting with a guide at the strip and talking with another pilot that was gonna wait it out for the day; we knew the smart thing to do was just hang tight for another day. We had a good time visiting with the guide and his successful client and the other pilot that was grounded. My excitement was definitely building after seeing the hunters (clients) beautiful bull caribou and hearing that at least there were some caribou around this time.
After a restless nights sleep, with wind and rain slamming the truck most the night we woke up, had breakfast and by noon it looked like it was go time. Randy hauled the first load of gear to the remote strip, which was about 40 minutes away and returned to pick me and the rest of the gear up. I would be lying if I said I didn't have some major anxiety, wondering if this trip would be different than the last and I'd finally get my chance at a mature bull. We did have a back up plan if the caribou were non-existent, since Randy had grabbed a registration moose tag just in case! The scenery on the flight in was great as usual and we even spotted 4 different black bears along the way. Unfortunately no caribou were spotted to ease my anxiousness :).

Attachments

• 20240828_125933.jpg
    20240828_125933.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240828_130806.jpg
    20240828_130806.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240828_133536.jpg
    20240828_133536.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Forum statistics