Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

SB 303 - No net gain hearing in an hour

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
In classic fashion, we get about two hour notice that another "No Net Gain" bill is going to be heard today. SB 303, a bill that restricts any net gain of public land for Montana is being heard today at 3:00PM. Just hit the hearing list.

So much for wanting citizen comment. This week is like nothing I have seen in 15 years of this crap.

Link here - http://data.opi.mt.gov/bills/2011/billhtml/SB0303.htm

The bill restricts any purchase of land by Montana, that will result in a net increase of public land, even if it is a bargain sale option with a conservation seller (as is normally the case in Montana).

Furthermore, anything FWP wants to do must be approved by the Board of Land Commissioners, and result in no net gain.

In other words, our best places for wildlife, such as Sun River Game Range, Blackfoot WMA, Wall Creek WMA, Porcupine, Dome Mountain, Beartooth, etc. are no long possible. Without those, we don't have elk winter ground in many critical areas in Montana.

And they have funneled it to an obscure committee with their friends. House Local Government Committee.

SENATE BILL NO. 303

INTRODUCED BY J. BRENDEN

A BILL FOR AN ACT ENTITLED: "AN ACT REQUIRING APPROVAL OF THE BOARD OF LAND COMMISSIONERS FOR LAND PURCHASES; PROVIDING THAT TO THE EXTENT PRACTICAL AND CONSISTENT WITH THE BOARD OF LAND COMMISSIONERS' POWERS AND DUTIES, LAND PURCHASES MAY NOT RESULT IN A NET GAIN IN LAND OWNERSHIP BY THE STATE;

Section 7. Section 23-1-102, MCA, is amended to read:

"23-1-102. Powers and duties of department of fish, wildlife, and parks. .........

Land purchases must be approved by the board of land commissioners. To the extent practical and consistent with the board of land commissioners' powers and duties pursuant to 77-1-202, land purchases may not result in a net gain in land owned by the state on [the effective date of this act] except in the case of purchasing fishing access sites that consist of less than 5 acres.

Here is the contact information for that committee. Here is the link where you can look them up. Sorry, i don't have time to post all their emails. Scroll to the bottom of that link. It gives each member and if you click on the name, it gives you their information.

Committee Contact List Link

Local Government
Meets Tuesday, Thursday, 3 p.m., Room 172
Chair: Gary MacLaren (R-Victor)
Vice Chair: Michael More (R-Gallatin Gateway)
Vice Chair: Michele Reinhart (D-Missoula)
Liz Bangerter (R-Helena)
Dick Barrett (D-Missoula)
Bryce Bennett (D-Missoula)
Tom Berry (R-Roundup)
Edward Greef (R-Florence)
Kristin Hansen (R-Havre)
Pat Ingraham (R-Thompson Falls)
James Knox (R-Billings)
Steve Lavin (R-Kalispell)
Sue Malek (D-Missoula)
Mary McNally (D-Billings)
Jerry O'Neil (R-Columbia Falls)
Matthew Rosendale (R-Glendive)
Derek Skees (R-Whitefish)
Wayne Stahl (R-Saco)
Kathy Swanson (D-Anaconda)
Gordon Vance (R-Bozeman)
Staff: Helen Thigpen, 406-444-3804
Secretary: Phoebe Williams, 406-444-1512

Damn, I can't wait for this crap to be over.

On a more postive note, my typing skill have improved immensely.

The committee hearing was strange. I was asked if FWP would just focus on procuring small tracts of land that open large blocks of public, would MWF oppose large purchases like Spotted Dog.

My answer was no. Fin nailed it. Why turn down another Sun River Game Range? They're not making any more winter range.

This bill is another attempt to seek retribution on the public land hunter.

Here is the reply I got earlier from my local Senator who voted yes to this bill. "I do not agree with you that this legislation is an attack on public access. The problem with the State of Montana acquiring additional land is the lack of funds to take care of said acquisitions. There is not enough funds available to take care of the 'beetle killed forests' or the spread of noxious weeds".

I told him he was mis-informed as general fund money rarely, if ever, goes towards that management. The DNRC manages their land to benefit the Common School Trust Fund. Money generated from that management goes back to the land. One management unit has salvage harvested 24 million board feet and generated $2.2 million dollars since 2007. Portions of that money is used for noxious weed control. FWP uses very little general fund money as well as that is typically considered "habitat enhancement".

I find it contradictory how he voted Yes to SB414 (control of wolves) but NO to SB402 (spring hunt for wolves)?

after reviewing his voting record, I asked him "As sportsmen oriented as Anaconda is, why would you seek a path that shows complete disdain for Sportsmen?"

He doesn't even answer me any more. No surprise.

Back