RIP Garmin Inreach … iPhones to allow satellite messages in ios18

Sat connectivity to cell is coming for all carriers fellas..not in time for this season.

ASTS for those that want to follow along..up 5% since the approval.

I tried to text while driving. I was unable to get a connection when I placed my phone on my dash. I usually can get satellite reception this way with my Zoleo.

IMG_1099.png

To further test, son and I went out into our yard and were easily able to text back and forth by satellite. The phone tells you the recipient is receiving messages by satellite. We were about 60 yards apart and received messages quickly. A second or two. It was much quicker than messaging on my Zoleo.

I tried to text while driving. I was unable to get a connection when I placed my phone on my dash. I usually can get satellite reception this way with my Zoleo.

View attachment 340136

To further test, son and I went out into our yard and were easily able to text back and forth by satellite. The phone tells you the recipient is receiving messages by satellite. We were about 60 yards apart and received messages quickly. A second or two. It was much quicker than messaging on my Zoleo.
I noticed InReach has the same problem in vehicle, which isn't a terrible thing...my curiosity is this - I can see benefit if I get into trouble to have my location pinged and sent directly to dispatch by hitting the SOS on InReach, I haven't played with my Iphone as much that way, but is there an option for that? If there is, please enlighten me!!

I noticed InReach has the same problem in vehicle, which isn't a terrible thing...my curiosity is this - I can see benefit if I get into trouble to have my location pinged and sent directly to dispatch by hitting the SOS on InReach, I haven't played with my Iphone as much that way, but is there an option for that? If there is, please enlighten me!!
I’m an IT illiterate. If you want definitive answers, ask Apple.

I did a quick Apple SOS search. You can use your phone in emergency situation.

“ When you make a call with SOS, your iPhone automatically calls the local emergency number and shares your location information with emergency services.

You can also add emergency contacts. After an emergency call ends, your iPhone alerts your emergency contacts with a text message, unless you choose to cancel. Your iPhone sends your current location, and for a period of time after you enter SOS mode, your emergency contacts receive updates when your location changes.”

I didn’t know any of this. I’m going to add emergency contacts today.

Test 3

I was able to text my son from my yard on satellite to his location on cell 34 miles away. Messaging at the same speed as cell messaging.

When I was connecting to the satellite, it provided a view of a satellite and my phone. It told me to turn left for best reception. I turned and moved the satellite like I was playing Space Invaders. It’s a great option to help connect. I’ve played the games with Zoleo and Sat phones trying to find the right place by looking at the number of bars I have.

IMG_1106.jpeg

I’m going grouse hunting tomorrow. I’ll do a sat test from a different location to my wife at my house.

“ When you make a call with SOS, your iPhone automatically calls the local emergency number and shares your location information with emergency services.

You can also add emergency contacts. After an emergency call ends, your iPhone alerts your emergency contacts with a text message, unless you choose to cancel. Your iPhone sends your current location, and for a period of time after you enter SOS mode, your emergency contacts receive updates when your location changes.”

Test 3

I was able to text my son from my yard on satellite to his location on cell 34 miles away. Messaging at the same speed as cell messaging.

When I was connecting to the satellite, it provided a view of a satellite and my phone. It told me to turn left for best reception. I turned and moved the satellite like I was playing Space Invaders. It’s a great option to help connect. I’ve played the games with Zoleo and Sat phones trying to find the right place by looking at the number of bars I have.

View attachment 340191

I’m going grouse hunting tomorrow. I’ll do a sat test from a different location to my wife at my house.
I'm surprisingly tech illiterate even though I'm an engineer - so no worries there! This is all interesting to keep an eye on, I know you hunt hard, so looking forward to more of your general testing. Will be nice to save the per month cost and additional item from pack if I can ditch the InReach!

I had Beta tested the operating system and was able to use it last weekend for the opener. Was very impressed by it. Texts were sent quickly and had no issues staying connected to the satellites for as long as I wanted. I was close to buying an Inreach but figured I’d give this a shot and I’m glad I saved some money. Hopefully now that a lot more people might be sat texting since it’s fully released, there aren’t any issues that come up.

Test 3

View attachment 340191

Are you able to send a sat text from your phone to someone with say, an older iPhone or Android or do both sender and recipient need to have the new iOS enabled?

Are you able to send a sat text from your phone to someone with say, an older iPhone or Android or do both sender and recipient need to have the new iOS enabled?
I was just sat texting with my wife to see if I could sat text a pic (No Go). We were texting back and forth.

She has an IPhone 11 and is on IOS 17.

I don’t know any close friends with an Android.

as life should be. Only people I know with one are my brother and one stubborn coworker. My brother is so weird about it I often wonder if google has some sort of dirt on him

This is some really exciting tech. I’ve got an inreach but don’t like a number of things about it. If this continues to work well and improve it will kill the inreach market

I was just sat texting with my wife to see if I could sat text a pic (No Go). We were texting back and forth.

She has an IPhone 11 and is on IOS 17.

Pictures are just too much data. They had to do a lot just to get text down small enough to send via the sat. Sounds like the future is bright though. thanks for the tests.

@ForkieShooter, 100% agree. Just got back from a hunt trip and every season it reinforces my view that Garmin doesn't have human beings testing their products. The user interface reminds me of texting on a Motorola Razr 20yrs ago. And makes me want to smash the thing into a nearest rock.

Is there any extra charge to use the satellite texting? Wondering if I should sell my two InReaches and use the money to help pay to update my iPhone.

Yeah damn, just bought an inreach mini 2.

Maybe after some of those bugs get worked out I’d be more confident in the iPhone as a standalone device, but they’re definitely on the right track!

Glad it’s working so far for some of you!

Is there any extra charge to use the satellite texting? Wondering if I should sell my two InReaches and use the money to help pay to update my iPhone.
It’s free for now.

My Zoleo is close to being sold, subscription dropped.

How are y’all going about testing this?
I live in the mountains and don’t have cell service unless I use WiFi. I go in my yard, lose WiFi, and connect via the satellite. I have not been able to get a satellite messaging choice if I’m connected to cell service.

The ability to use the satellite option pops up for me when I have the SOS/Satellite logo instead of a cell service bars.

If your question is deeper, you might want to check with Apple. Minimum requirements are IPhone 14 or newer and IOS18.

I tested again in another area this morning. No problems connecting, easily texted with my wife at home and my son standing next to me. iPhone satellite has been easier to use than any Sat Phones or the Zoleo I have.

Last edited:
PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jheffern
Back