Caribou Gear

Rifle setup is to scope as fly rod set up is to _____.

perma

Meaning, we often hear that if you had to put all your money into one thing on a rifle, it should be the scope.

Same question, but with a fly rod setup?

Fly line that matches the rod is really beneficial for casting. There's a reason some fly line is so expensive.
Truth to this statement. I have a bin full of lines for a multitude of applications. Can you get by with one line for the basics? Sure. But there are lines for specific purposes.
Unfortunately many lines are in the $100 dollar range. The markup is ridiculous. Bet they only cost $30 to make.
Everybody has their rabbit hole.

I agree that the right fly line can make a huge difference, even if they’re stupid expensive.

I would say the most applicable rifle to fly rod parallel is that Echo reminds me a lot of Tikka. Phenomenal values that will perform just as well as some of the much more expensive options out there.

Ok maybe I was a bit reserved on the title. I’ve learned over the handful of months that I’ve been fly fishing that I’ve done 97% lake fishing compared to river and stream fishing. With that being said, the setup I currently have works just fine and has caught fish in both bodies of water.

So getting into Hem’s point of the rabbit hole, I’ve read that if you do more still water fishing, you typically want a longer rod and a heavier reel/line setup, around 7 lbs. I currently have a 7’ and a 8’6” rod. I’m thinking of at least a 9’6” or 10’. The 8’6” has been my do it all and has some pretty decent stuff, only cheaped out on the rod which was an Okuma. The reel is a Lamson 6-8 which is what I would transfer to the longer rod, and I’d get a new reel for the okuma, one to match.

I also need a reel for the 7’ rod, I inherited both but the reel is cheap. The rod is an eagle claw but it has a cork grip that I prefer. That’s my tight space narrow cast setup.

I’m rambling, someone dive into the rabbit hole with me or get me out.

I currently have a 7’ and a 8’6” rod. I’m thinking of at least a 9’6” or 10’. The 8’6” has been my do it all and has some pretty decent stuff,
if you’re mainly fishing Stillwaters, probably 9’ (and it will slop over nicely to moving water)

How are you fishing the still waters? From the bank with open backcasts? From a Personal watercraft (tube or single man pontoon)? A boat you sit or kneel in? A boat you can stand in?

Generally the lower to the water you are, the longer the rod, eg I rarely fish from my single-man toon or float tube anymore, but the 10’ 5wt is really helpful when you’re sitting in the water. Same with wading, and with roll casting if tight quarters.

You can get by shorter if you’re standing or sitting in a boat.

Beyond the good advice from others, if you plan to continue I’d invest in a higher end 9 or 9’6” 5 or 6 weight. If you’re catching bigger fish lean to a 6 or 7. If standard alpine 8-16” trout, 5 is fine. If a lot of wind, overline the rod by 1 weight.

See, the rabbit hole only gets deeper…

I'll take $1,000, Perma:

Daily Double!

"Curtis Creek Manifesto is to fly rod as rifle setup is to scope."

@perma
Buy a Echo Ion XL -6 wght-10'-4 pc
Under $200.
This rod is one of the most versatile rods I own. I absolutely love this rod.
I fish it all winter on the river using a 7 wght sink tip line. In the spring I nymph stone flies with a heavy 6 wght floating line. Frequently use this rod from lake shoreline where the extra length helps elevate the backcast over brush etc
It is not a finesse rod, though honestly I could use it for any dry fly applications other than small creeks. It will take some getting used to versus the rods you own. Part of the fun. The great thing with this rod is you can fish a 6 wght line, but also over line the rod eith a 7 or even 8 wght line.
I started using 10' rods on a regular basis about 15 years ago. Big fan for situational applications.

@perma
Buy a Echo Ion XL -6 wght-10'-4 pc
Under $200.
This rod is one of the most versatile rods I own. I absolutely love this rod.
I fish it all winter on the river using a 7 wght sink tip line. In the spring I nymph stone flies with a heavy 6 wght floating line. Frequently use this rod from lake shoreline where the extra length helps elevate the backcast over brush etc
It is not a finesse rod, though honestly I could use it for any dry fly applications other than small creeks. It will take some getting used to versus the rods you own. Part of the fun. The great thing with this rod is you can fish a 6 wght line, but also over line the rod eith a 7 or even 8 wght line.
I started using 10' rods on a regular basis about 15 years ago. Big fan for situational applications.
I have been very impressed with my Ion XL 8wt and I’m seriously considering getting another one in a 6 wt for a dedicated heavy nymph/streamer rod for my local river. I kind of want to take it easy on my old Sage 6 wt now that it’s old enough that it’s a $250 repair bill and a year wait if I ever whack it with a conehead.

I have been very impressed with my Ion XL 8wt and I’m seriously considering getting another one in a 6 wt for a dedicated heavy nymph/streamer rod for my local river. I kind of want to take it easy on my old Sage 6 wt now that it’s old enough that it’s a $250 repair bill and a year wait if I ever whack it with a conehead.
Are you thinking 9' or 10'?

I fish salt only. Most important thing in my world are my rods. Line n leader second , then reel. But they all have work together to make a great set up.

Rod/rifle , Line and leader system/ammo, reel/scope.

I put reels and scopes in the same vane as in some cases you need a high quality and in some cases about anything that works as intended will get the job done.

As above, fly line weight/makeup.
For example, a 6 weight rod, you will struggle to get it to cast efficiently, but stick a 7 weight on it and you will find it will work, although be careful, it might over load the rod.
I had a load of fly lines manufactured for me 20 years ago, I sold them for around $25 and still made a good profit.
Even now I don't spend a huge amount on a line, except for me Salmon fishing, then I weep and pay out for the Rio Skandi versa tip setup!

As above, fly line weight/makeup.
For example, a 6 weight rod, you will struggle to get it to cast efficiently, but stick a 7 weight on it and you will find it will work, although be careful, it might over load the rod.
I had a load of fly lines manufactured for me 20 years ago, I sold them for around $25 and still made a good profit.
Even now I don't spend a huge amount on a line, except for me Salmon fishing, then I weep and pay out for the Rio Skandi versa tip setup!
This. I have an GLoomis crosscurrent GLX in 9ft 8wt. After trying three different 8 wt lines it wears a 9 weight line. Fish don't seem to notice….

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jg722
Back