Question for those who have rebarreled a rifle...

Chingon

Do you usually get your original barrel back? I have only had two Tikkas rebarrelled to non-factory calibers, and the first one I used a local gunsmith that handed me my OEM barrel back when I picked up my rifle. Recently sent a rifle out of state and this time no barrel? It was a brand new, unfired stainless steel 243 (slow twist unfortunately). Figured I could sell it for $50.

Not the end of the world obviously, but just wondering if I'd be out of line asking them to ship my original barrel back.

My guess is usually people get rifles rebarrelled because the original one shot terrible. So most of the time they are tossed anyway. If you want it back, I'd definitely ask. Might be pretty marred up depending how they clamped down on it to remove it though.

I normally have a local smith spin mine off before and just send in the action. The one I didn't do that for, pacnor sent my barrel back...they should have chucked it, it was totally shot out.

The two I had rebarrelled I got the the old barrels back with the rifles. Told the Smith he could keep em but he just laughed and said he's got no use for worn out barrels. So now they sit on my scrap steel pile.

Did you inform the smith you wanted the barrel back? Its probably just in a bin with a bunch of others now

When I had mine rebarreled, I dropped it off at the smith and he took the old barrel off in front of me to get a grasp of what was going on. I took back the barrel and all the parts he didn’t need for the job.

I make a point of asking for them back if I want them. Most seem to ask what you want with it.

I sent a lightly used 300wm superlite to a smith to build a custom off of and he neglected to ship the factory barrel, stock, and magazine to me. After asking a couple times he got just the barrel to me.. Wasn't the only downside and i wouldn't send that guy another rifle.

Last edited:
I do my own rebarreling, so I always get my old one back.

Give the smith a call and ask if you can have the old one back.

To my thinking they should have sent it back with the rifle to begin with.
Especially if it was a new take off.

I have a new barrel from a Ruger American in 6.5 I got back; tried to give it away here and on LRH to no avail. Tomato stake I guess. Otherwise no, and I know one gunsmith recycles them; don't know how much he gets per pound.

Your barrel should be returned to you with the rifle unless you discussed otherwise.

I've never had a barrel returned but I think they just go into a stack in the corner of my smith's shop. A guy on here was needing a new Tikka .30-06 barrel a while back and my smith said he could have one I'd left there a year ago or more, not sure if they ever connected though.

Most assume the old barrel is junk unless told otherwise. And unless you discuss making a switch barrel gun, then obviously they’ll know you want to keep the old barrel.

If you want it back, just let them know.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back Tracker
Back