Sitka Gear Optifade Cover

Quest For A First Antelope

Absolutely perfect!!! So happy for you both and way to keep at it!! Big congrats! Nothing better than some fresh never-frozen antelope backstraps!

After a break and lunch I decided that we would go look on the other side of the road where the buck may have gone. I know that antelope bucks will make a big loop and return to where they started, so I am hoping we would catch him in this loop. In the first draw we came to was a buck watching some sage grouse hunters which made it super easy to sneak in on him, however it wasn't the one we were after. As we were driving down the county road I look out the window and see what looks like a bedded buck at this time the heat waves are crazy bad so I can't tell what he is. We decide to get a closer look as this is only about 600 yards from where we last saw the buck. The buck is lying down facing away from us which made our stalk in pretty easy. We are able to get within 200 yds and see that once again this isn't the buck we are after. Time to give this buck a break and go look at some other antelope in the area. Well that thought just crossed my mind when we crest a small hill on the county road and there stands the buck we have been after standing 60 yards off the road. I quickly stop the truck and tell my son to grab the rifle I will get the shooting sticks. During this time the buck trots out of sight under a small rise and we head out to try and get a shot at him. Just as we are getting to a spot to where we can see the small draw I see him double back and head to the other side of the road. We quickly cross the road and go over a small rise and there he is standing looking at us at 246 yds. We get my son set up on the shooting sticks and this time the buck stands there long enough for him to take a shot. I had put my binos down right before he shots but the sound of a hit was unmistakable. The buck takes off on a full sprint out of our sight so we quickly get to the top of the small rise to see where he went. As we get to the top we see the buck standing about 150 yards from us my son takes the shot and down goes the buck. He puts the gun down and jumps into my arms saying "We did it" "We got the one we wanted" "I knew we would get him". I haven't see him this excited I am guessing it was from all the hours he put in before the hunt.
The happy hunter with the ONE he wanted.
View attachment 342005
View attachment 342001View attachment 341999
After a pictures he skins and quarters the buck all by himself. The only thing I do is hold a leg here and there.
View attachment 342002View attachment 342006

He got a new pack over the summer so we had to put it to use carrying out half of his buck.
View attachment 342004
This buck shocked me when I walked up on him. He is much bigger than what I thought scouting him.
Love a nice and tall one!

I wish the "height" mattered more in terms of scoring - prongs without much curve always look most impressive to me.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LittleGListener
Back