Public Land Kansas Whitetail

kyledoskocil

Hey guys! This is something my brother have been wanting to do for awhile but just never have been able to find the means and time until now. We are looking to go on a DIY public land hunt for whitetail in Kansas.

Does anyone have any advice or information they are willing to share on specific units to look at that are public land friendly while still having the chance at one of those nice Kansas bucks?

Thanks in advance!

I've always gone with an outfitter and have killed some dandy whitetails in the SE part of state.
They put a limit on non res tags a few years ago and now lucky to get drawn every 2nd or 3rd year.

Go to the KS outdoors website and check out their online hunting atlas. Fall 2024 isn’t out yet but the atlas will give you an idea of how much public land is in each zone.

Hey guys! This is something my brother have been wanting to do for awhile but just never have been able to find the means and time until now. We are looking to go on a DIY public land hunt for whitetail in Kansas.

Does anyone have any advice or information they are willing to share on specific units to look at that are public land friendly while still having the chance at one of those nice Kansas bucks?

Thanks in advance!
You can find quality whitetails (depending on your definition) in most parts of the state. Just pick an area and do your research. Hunting on public can be a major challenge, but it’s doable. I’ve gotten pictures of big deer on public in the dark, but im not sure that i’ve seen a 160+ from the stand on public.

Also, as a side note trail cams are now banned so don’t plan on using cameras to scout

Kansas is still good but not what it was 10+ years ago. A jaw dropper could pop out but realistically a solid 3 year old is the norm for most folks hunting public. Plenty of walkin and reservoirs to hunt all throughout the state. Do some air photo research and pick some country that looks good.

I've always gone with an outfitter and have killed some dandy whitetails in the SE part of state.
They put a limit on non res tags a few years ago and now lucky to get drawn every 2nd or 3rd year.
Guaranteed to draw with one point right now

Pick any unit away from the bigger cities, investigate country that doesnt look like WT country. A few years ago I was walking some crp the day before rifle opener and my buddy hissed at me to look. One of the biggest WT Ive ever seen was 25 yards away looking at us and our bird dog like "why you have to come here and wake me up". He just walked off never to be seen again. Probably a 230" + buck. He was 500 yards from the nearest bush on a wiha.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishonfleek
Back