Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Public Land Etiquette

My son and I went hunting last Thur. in a spot where I have never met another hunter. To my surprise there were two guys parked there getting ready to head up the ridge. I stopped and inquired of their hunt plan for the day and it turned out they were headed exactly where I wanted to go. I wished them well and told them we'd hunt the next drainage over to avoid overcrowding the drainage they were in.

Turned out pretty good. This was the second buck Timothy got a shot at that morning. He got over being bummed about missing a smaller buck when this one hit the ground. :) I rarely see hunters in the woods and have never felt the need to have a confrontation over a hunting spot. It's just not worth it.

Attachments

• Sony p510 102.jpg
    Sony p510 102.jpg
    397.2 KB · Views: 275
Funny how some people act on public land. I generally give people a wide birth as I don't like to see others, but at times I will blow by them to get farther in. Had they intended to hunt deep? I have no idea, but if so they should have got up earlier instead of hitting close and expecting deep and having it all to themselves. I rarely see people mostly because I don't hunt close to easy access points. If I see others in the spot I end up, I usually just keep going. There is always some place to go. At times it's hard to get away though, so space gets smaller.

I ran into a guy on the river once... I generally like to walk about half a mile befor fishing in this particular spot... the guy was at the first hole. We passed him, said hi. He responded with, "I hope you're not planning to fish below me (ahead)?" Granted this guy beat it to the river by about 2 minutes, if that. We were getting ready when he pulled up and took off to beat us... what ever. I fished this spot a 100 times, it's all good.

I let him know we were planning on going a lot further. He let me know that was an asshole thing to do... I said kind of like sprinting to the water to beat us there from the parking lot? I let him know we were planning on walking down about half a mile or more, or about 2 hours worth of fishing, but that we would cozy right up with him there instead. He left. I laughed... on public lad you can be courtious or an asshole, and I'll treat you how you treat me... apparently he owned the river that day.

Last year I went to hunt elk in the crazies on the north end. Got to the gate at the same time as two others together. There's plenty of country out there for everybody and then some. I tried to make a plan with them and asked where they were headed, so I could go elsewhere. They responded with and I quote "It's public land. We'll go wherever the f@ck we damned well please."

They looked like during the last 20 days I had spent stomping around the Beartooth with a 60 pound pack, they were on their couch eating cheetos and drinking beer. So it looked like I ended with first pick. I passed on 4 rahhorns about 30 minutes later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jassonolive
Back