Advertisement

Project 2025 and Conservation

View attachment 334151
How is the hunting in Washington? I know it actually fairly well also lived there most my life. hunting just keeps going down hill there......
I haven't lived here long enough to give an accurate opinion, but the same direction as Montana from what I hear. I do not base my decisions solely off of hunting. Taking a wider perspective makes these choices harder.

I haven't lived here long enough to give an accurate opinion, but the same direction as Montana from what I hear. I do not base my decisions solely off of hunting. Taking a wider perspective makes these choices harder.
If you consider washington on the same level as montana you are more delusional then I thought......

In any federalist system or the federalist system we live in? I can agree you make a decent point if things work as they should. But that is a bit of Fantasyland at this point. It seems willing buyer, willing seller should prevail.

Here is how the order was written. Think of how many purchases would not happen. Even if the Governor is ok with it, most purchases are in rural areas where people basically hate the federal government.

A written expression of support by both the affected Governor and local county or county government-equivalent (e.g. parish, borough) is required for the acquisition of land, water, or an interest in land or water under the Federal LWCF program.

State level. I have voiced my opinion on both issues in emails and with my pocketbook. But cougars are within the trust run for the citizens of Colorado. I fight the WA fight as best I can. I get another bite at that apple in November. Most of this isn't a "Democrat initiative". It's a few left-wing activist groups that have figured out a way to wiggle their way into the system because hunters weren't paying attention.
Can't speak to CO and WA but I know in this part of the country it wasn't activist groups or judges as much as totally removing professional biologists from a key decision--that then (not surprisingly) turned bad--that has been the most recent cause of our lack of state wolf management authority.

And it's getting worse--a captive deer farmer started a group that began holding meetings and blaming wolves for our low deer populations in the northern part of the state. Those meetings were widely reported on in both print media and tv news-and attendees frequently talked about killing wolves, knowing someone who kills wolves, and more.

And take a guess which political party joins right in with them--hint--it's NOT Democrats.

Those some IDIOTS will turn around and blame anti's or the professional bio's for the lack of wolf authority when in fact, they can find the cause by looking the mirror at themselves.

We have to find happiness somewhere. The Walla Walla Sweets are in and we put up 17 meals of French Onion Soup for the winter today. Just add a slice of Great Harvest Bread (or your fav homemade), slice of Swiss, and instant meal. They look different, but just cooling at different rates. Also put up 12 Veggie Soups this week. When I grew up this is how we lived, and it's satisfying to do it still.

As Waylon said, maybe it's time to get back to the basics...

And the Peptol is for a sick dog, so no comments on our soups plz. hahahaha

French Onion Soup.jpg

Can't speak to CO and WA but I know in this part of the country it wasn't activist groups or judges as much as totally removing professional biologists from a key decision--that then (not surprisingly) turned bad--that has been the most recent cause of our lack of state wolf management authority.

And it's getting worse--a captive deer farmer started a group that began holding meetings and blaming wolves for our low deer populations in the northern part of the state. Those meetings were widely reported on in both print media and tv news-and attendees frequently talked about killing wolves, knowing someone who kills wolves, and more.

And take a guess which political party joins right in with them--hint--it's NOT Democrats.

Those some IDIOTS will turn around and blame anti's or the professional bio's for the lack of wolf authority when in fact, they can find the cause by looking the mirror at themselves.
As a northern MN land owner for decades there is no doubt wolves affect deer populations - and to suggest otherwise makes no biological sense. We have seen ebbs and flows of wolves, deer and rabbit populations over the years. As one would expect, when the deer numbers move up, so do the wolves, and when deer are down, so are wolves. Rabbits seem to be a back up for the wolves for a while when deer numbers are down. We have years with no deer and years with no wolves. I am not screaming about it. I find tree stand hunting more boring than watching golf on TV so haven't sought a MN deer tag in decades.

Certainly don't care one way or the other about a wolf hunting season. Don't like ESA protection for them in a place where some years I see more of them than I see deer or grouse, and if they get brave around our cabin & the dogs, I would prefer to have options to handle that, but have nothing against them on prinicple. In fact, had two standing on our gravel road watching the wife head off for a jog just this weekend - they are pretty cool as long as they retain a fear of people and our places. It was the mountain lion we had hanging around for a few years I would have preferred to do without - I don't trust those cats.

Wow! I didn't really pay much attention to what project 2025 was until now. I looked it up. Looking just at the words of the people organizing and pushing it, they want to take over the US government and reshape it to fit their own agenda. NO RED FLAGS THERE!

One thing these types of groups tend do pretty early on in the process is make sure they get guns out of the hands of the populous. Makes domination a little easier.

As a northern MN land owner for decades there is no doubt wolves affect deer populations - and to suggest otherwise makes no biological sense. We have seen ebbs and flows of wolves, deer and rabbit populations over the years. As one would expect, when the deer numbers move up, so do the wolves, and when deer are down, so are wolves. Rabbits seem to be a back up for the wolves for a while when deer numbers are down. We have years with no deer and years with no wolves. I am not screaming about it. I find tree stand hunting more boring than watching golf on TV so haven't sought a MN deer tag in decades.

Certainly don't care one way or the other about a wolf hunting season. Don't like ESA protection for them in a place where some years I see more of them than I see deer or grouse, and if they get brave around our cabin & the dogs, I would prefer to have options to handle that, but have nothing against them on prinicple. In fact, had two standing on our gravel road watching the wife head off for a jog just this weekend - they are pretty cool as long as they retain a fear of people and our places. It was the mountain lion we had hanging around for a few years I would have preferred to do without - I don't trust those cats.
I think Paul Errington, Lloyd Keith and others whose work has informed professional biologists for years would disagree on that, but it is a bit complex. The main point was deer are down because we had two historically bad winters in a row. Secondarily in places (not everywhere) we have lost a huge amount of deer wintering grounds due to very heavy timber harvesting--harvesting that has ignored or not considered the needs of deer.

There is some work from Mech and others to suggest wolves might be able to keep very low populations down--very low being well below 10/square mile in otherwise typical habitat for them.

Not anti-wolf hunting and might try it myself someday if we get the chance again--but the idea these folks I mentioned are promoting is that it's a direct and singular cause that wolves have killed all the deer and that's why the population is down. And they are doing more to harm the chances of regaining state control of wolves than the anti's are!

@SAJ-99 was asking about the future of Colstrip somewhere in this mess. Maybe it stays operating?

@SAJ-99 was asking about the future of Colstrip somewhere in this mess. Maybe it stays operating?

Maybe, but it needs some serious upgrades and typically those are more expensive than they are worth.

Read slower. Comprehension will get better.
Take your own advice and maybe your decision making will get better.

If you think washington is headed the direction of montana you are delusional

washington is 20 to 30 years ahead of montana in destroying the hunting in their state not even close to being on the same page.

If washington was headed torwards montana at all they would have to change policy's to make it better all they're doing is making it worse and slowly trying to eliminate all hunting

Last edited:
We all got our problems, WY isn’t perfect. Some are facing it worse than others. We’re fighting along side you CO folks though.
Gordon or his wife aren’t openly saying hey we’re animal rights activists. It’s emboldened these anti hunting critters here to forge ahead with their agenda. More show up everyday seeking what our state has become. Just like people here turn trucks and trailers north and get the hell outta here for good. We’re losing here badly.

It won't, for Archer Bunker.
Your name will fit your states hunting opportunity here soon and will mostly be the fault of hunters living in denial on who is the biggest threat to hunting. I wish colorado the best but colorado sportsman opportunity are going to die a slow painful death at the hand of democrats policy's

Last edited:
I

Your name will fit your states hunting opportunity here soon and will mostly be the fault of hunters living in denial on who is the biggest threat to hunting. I wish colorado the best but colorado sportsman are going to die a slow painful death.
You ok?

Wow! I didn't really pay much attention to what project 2025 was until now. I looked it up. Looking just at the words of the people organizing and pushing it, they want to take over the US government and reshape it to fit their own agenda. NO RED FLAGS THERE!

One thing these types of groups tend do pretty early on in the process is make sure they get guns out of the hands of the populous. Makes domination a little easier.
And there's more...

Back