Polaris Ranger/Honda Pioneer what is enough?

I’ve been searching for a sxs for a little bit and I’m leaning towards a Polaris ranger preferably newer than 2014. Curious what everyone feels is a big enough engine to haul 2 200+ lb dudes and gear/dead animals. 500cc to little?

Yes. Get the 1000.

I liked my Honda but there are no accessories, and the OE accessories are terrible. Polaris is the industry standard if you can get past the CVT.

I have the pioneer 520. For the most part I’m by myself, occasionally will have another person with me. It can be kind of tight with two people and an animal in the back. Definitely aren’t going to be hauling a ton of gear AND an animal in the bed. Just my two cents

I’ve been searching for a sxs for a little bit and I’m leaning towards a Polaris ranger preferably newer than 2014. Curious what everyone feels is a big enough engine to haul 2 200+ lb dudes and gear/dead animals. 500cc to little?
I have a 2016 Honda Pioneer 1000 that was purchased new. I test rode the Polaris but went with the Honda and have absolutely no regrets. The machine is durable and has plenty of power to get the job done. I felt the 700 was just too weak.

It’s a beast of a machine.

Mark

Get either a used Xp900 EPS ranger or a new Xp1000. You will not like anything smaller. I have a 2 door Xp900 and its great. I bought a new 4 door and its better but its the 1500XD but its crazy money.

Older ones will not have downhill asst. May not matter if you don't do steep terrain.
factory tires and rims don't have lots of ground clearance but if your mostly on roads its no big deal
winch with poly rope
power steering on newer models. I would never EVER buy one without
extra LED light bars are great
cab heater/defroster
auxiliary bumpers and brush guards
tip out windshield, wiper if you are in wet climate
full cab with cab

lots of other stuff

good luck

Mechanically you can’t beat the Pioneer 1000. 10/10. As far as comfort goes it scores about a 1/10. Hot, dusty, and loud about sums it up.
The Polaris is about a 10/10 in the comfort score. Mechanically, I haven’t heard great things.

Rumor is for 2025 Honda will come out with a cab that is sealed and has creature comforts. I won’t hold my breath, but if they come out with a cab that is as tight and as comfortable as the Polaris and it is in the same price range, I don’t see how they don’t take over the SxS market.

I’ve had 2 guys in my Pioneer 1000 while pulling a trailer with quite a bit of weight in it, in rough/steep terrain, and it never felt underpowered.

I have the pioneer 520. For the most part I’m by myself, occasionally will have another person with me. It can be kind of tight with two people and an animal in the back. Definitely aren’t going to be hauling a ton of gear AND an animal in the bed. Just my two cents
Ever feel like it’s to weak? Granted I’m not feeling a need for speed

I’ve owned a Polaris Ranger 700, a Polaris Rzr 570 and a Honda Pioneer 1000-5.

I really don’t feel like I’ve ever thought that I was short on the power that I needed to get from point A to point B.

I have never had any mechanical issues with with Polaris machine and (both bought used) and had to spend $1,600 to replace the clutch on the Honda right after I bought it (also used).

The Polaris Ranger was a 2007 and I think the ride is better on the Honda Pioneer but it is a 2016 so a newer Ranger might have a better ride by now.

I just bought the Honda this spring so not a lot of use with it yet but I think I’m going to like it.

I went with the 570 Rzr instead of the 900 and am very happy with it. I’m keeping it as a trail machine. It is comfortable and has been a good machine for the 10 years I’ve had it. Haven’t ever had to replace the belt although I keep a spare one on the machine just in case. The 570 seems to go anywhere a 900 could go, just a little slower and uses less gas and is quieter.

I would look into the 570 Ranger if that was interesting to you. I know the 570
Rzr had the same power output as the 800 one did when it first came out. I can get 150 miles on a tank of gas on my 570 Rzr if it is decent trails that I can go 15 or 20 mph on.

Does this look loaded up enough with 2 guys riding in it?

1722832353995.jpeg

I’ve owned a Polaris Ranger 700, a Polaris Rzr 570 and a Honda Pioneer 1000-5.

I really don’t feel like I’ve ever thought that I was short on the power that I needed to get from point A to point B.

I have never had any mechanical issues with with Polaris machine and (both bought used) and had to spend $1,600 to replace the clutch on the Honda right after I bought it (also used).

The Polaris Ranger was a 2007 and I think the ride is better on the Honda Pioneer but it is a 2016 so a newer Ranger might have a better ride by now.

I just bought the Honda this spring so not a lot of use with it yet but I think I’m going to like it.

I went with the 570 Rzr instead of the 900 and am very happy with it. I’m keeping it as a trail machine. It is comfortable and has been a good machine for the 10 years I’ve had it. Haven’t ever had to replace the belt although I keep a spare one on the machine just in case. The 570 seems to go anywhere a 900 could go, just a little slower and uses less gas and is quieter.

I would look into the 570 Ranger if that was interesting to you. I know the 570
Rzr had the same power output as the 800 one did when it first came out. I can get 150 miles on a tank of gas on my 570 Rzr if it is decent trails that I can go 15 or 20 mph on.

Does this look loaded up enough with 2 guys riding in it?

View attachment 335345
That’s what I wanted to know thank you
Zero need for speed hear
Quiet and better on gas sounds better to me

I know the 570
Rzr had the same power output as the 800 one did when it first came out.
I have a 2012 RZR 800 and wish it did not have the power available. 'Haven't needed it or the speed in mountains or for jobs required. ... and I wish ATVs and UTVs were a helluva lot quieter. You'd think it could be done in this modern age!

2015 Willy hauls again.JPGWilly the elk wagon.JPG

I have had a full size Ranger 570 and now a Ranger 1000. I certainly like more power, but the 570 had plenty. Truth is, in almost all situations, you run out of traction before you run out of power. Unless you are going to be climbing or pulling a lot, either will work fine. Have had both with 3 guys in it with gear out elk hunting and no problems. Love my Rangers. Have had no problems with either.

Power wise you'd be happy with either. If you like going fast, the 1000 will get you up to about 55mph, the 570 is about 45mph. If it's for work, I'd go with the smaller 570, especially for a hunting rig. It's smaller, sharper turn radius, a little narrower, still plenty of room in the box too. over 300lbs lighter, so a little easier to get unstuck lol

Ever feel like it’s to weak? Granted I’m not feeling a need for speed
I’ve never felt like it’s too weak, but it would be nice to go over 25 miles an hour every once in a while on those dirt roads getting from spot to spot. Not often but still would be nice.

You can get the 570 in a smaller frame or the full size frame. Or at least you used to be able to. I had the full sized 570. Same size as the 1000.

My Father In Law has the Pioneer 520 and it is pretty small but doesn't really ever feel short on power. I have the pioneer 700-4 and it goes everywhere I point it. The one thing on his is that it is narrow enough for some trail restrictions that the bigger UTV's won't go so that might be good for hunting out of one. As far as reliability Honda is what it is, doesn't get much better.

If you want to go anywhere comfortably and in style, get the Polaris. If you want to go most places always and without issue for less $, get the Honda. That's kind of hyperbole and kind of not.

I would go with the 1000. I've hauled elk out with a Pioneer 500 and a Pioneer 1000. The 500s are underpowered in my opinion - not that they power out on steep stuff and such, just wish for a little more oomph, particularly when travelling from A to B on roads with a max speed of 40 mph.

We use a 2011 500 Ranger for elk hunting and it has done just fine. We have put 2 elk along with ourselves in it no problem, well you need to adjust the rear shocks 1st.
Not powerful by any means but enough power to run well up here in rough country.
It does not get used on roads though, just ranch 2 tracks.

If you want strictly a utility/hunting rig the pioneer 700 can’t be beat if it’s the 3speed AT with locker. It tops out at 44/45 but geared perfectly for what I like doing. Had two quartered caribou, camp, and two people in one. It crawled up everything. Only issues I ever had were trying to drive it at sub -20 and not letting it warm up. Doesn’t like to shift until it’s warmed up for 10 min.

To me belt change is a huge issue. The 570 midsize I have is a pain. Have blown 4 belts now and I'm very gentle on it. Turns out some stuff missing in primary clutch, a couple spacers. Probably never put in. If you blow a belt you better have tools with you and hope you are not in mud or water. NOT user friendly to change. Just getting the cover off is a pain in the rear. Then to get all the remaining belt chunks out....It's not as simple as just throwing on a new belt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back Tracker
Back