Paying a moving company worth it?

Under contract on our hopefully last home in Cheyenne, got a great place in the location we were looking for. Unfortunately for us we left behind a 2.9% interest rate and took a big bite of a sh*t sandwich that is the current rates. Oh well, we'll marry the house and divorce the interest rate when the time is right.

Looks like I was able to keep the entire move under $7500. More than I was initially projecting but still way under the cheapest quote for a moving company. Although I think I did more damage to our stuff then they would have. For all of you who said to hire movers, I wish I would have. I am absolutely burnt out on moving crap, was able to thin a lot of stuff out and still in disbelief how we accumulated so much useless crap. Managed to lose my work boots, gave away the wife's hobby table (old butcher block) that she wanted to keep and didn't know it until after I told her I got rid of it, and broke a cabinet glass window in the camper.

Depends how fit you are. My wife & I have moved ourselves three times in that past 16-years using U-haul. 3500+ sqft homes. Nothing damaged and never out of our hands like our game meat!

We decided to just bite the bullet and hire movers for the end of this month. $3300 to move everything out of the old house and into the new, about 130 miles distance. I’ll report back whether or not it was worth it. I think that will depend on if the movers actually get to move our stuff into the new house, or into a storage unit. Then new house STILL isn’t finished being built.

Public Service Announcement: if you order U-Haul pods to move your stuff, just do yourself a favor and order a couple more than whatever they quote you will need. They were adamant that we would need six, when we really needed eight. So we had to hire movers to get the rest of our stuff out of the old house and bring it to our storage unit in our new home town… which cost us $1400.

A DIY move can be more cost-effective compared to hiring professionals. You’ll have complete control over the packing, loading, and unloading processes, and you can work on your own schedule. However, moving yourself involves significant physical labor and can be time-consuming. There's also a higher risk of damaging your belongings, especially if you lack experience with packing and loading. Additionally, the stress of coordinating a move, particularly over a long distance, can be considerable.

On the other hand, hiring a professional moving company offers the advantage of convenience. The movers handle all aspects of the move, including packing, loading, transport, and unloading. They are experienced in managing and transporting items safely, and most companies offer insurance options to cover any potential damage or loss. However, this service comes at a higher cost compared to doing it yourself. You’ll need to work around the moving company’s schedule, which may not always align with your own, and you will have less control over how your items are handled.

A DIY move can be more cost-effective compared to hiring professionals. You’ll have complete control over the packing, loading, and unloading processes, and you can work on your own schedule. However, moving yourself involves significant physical labor and can be time-consuming. There's also a higher risk of damaging your belongings, especially if you lack experience with packing and loading. Additionally, the stress of coordinating a move, particularly over a long distance, can be considerable.

On the other hand, hiring a professional moving company offers the advantage of convenience. The movers handle all aspects of the move, including packing, loading, transport, and unloading. They are experienced in managing and transporting items safely, and most companies offer insurance options to cover any potential damage or loss. However, this service comes at a higher cost compared to doing it yourself. You’ll need to work around the moving company’s schedule, which may not always align with your own, and you will have less control over how your items are handled.
Beep bobobop

Look that up all by yourself?

Several years ago the trucking company I worked for sold an old 48ft dry van trailer to a young guy headed to the fracking fields. He had us drop it off at his house and when it was loaded he hired an owner operator to haul it North. I asked him to let me know when he had made it safe to his destination as part of the sale deal. He sold the trailer for 3 times what he paid for it when he was finished.

When my wife and I make our escape to free America we plan on doing something similar. I am sure we can buy a used dry van for a reasonable price and hire someone to haul it to our final destination.

My last three moves were with movers, twice with work and once on my dime. The first two were great, the military paid for everything. The movers packed, loaded, off-loaded and un-packed everything. The third time, my wife and I packed/un-packed the whole house by ourselves and only hired movers to load/transport/off-load our stuff.

100% worth it and will do that again if I ever move out. I've moved enough in my younger years to know how much it sucks. While I am in good physical shape, I don't feel like half-ass'ing a move and getting injured. The couple grand it cost us was worth the peace of mind.

But for real though, paying a moving company is the best money I've ever spent. It should go without saying, but a little bit of appreciation and not being a d!#% goes a long way. We made sure our movers had a cooler full of Gatorades, got them lunch and tipped them well. It was apparent they were used to be treated like the hired help by other homes in our neighborhood.

Had one funny exchange with the truck driver, though. He picks up a nondescript, black tote from our spare bedroom and starts to walk toward the door with it.
Me: I can handle that one.
TD: Nah, I got plenty of room.
Me: Seriously, I'll take that one with us.
TD: No big deal [starts to load tote into trailer].
Me: My brother in Christ, that box has 40lbs of gunpowder and several thousand primers in it. I don't think you want that in your trailer in case you hit a bump too hard.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jg722
Back