Caribou Gear Tarp

PA Sunday Hunting ban repealed?

In West Virginia, all these false claims about what would happen with the legalization of Sunday hunting were proven false. People once against hunting in Sunday, are now laughing that they once didn't hunt in Sunday. No change in population, nobody shot going to church, stable game populations. An absolute win for hunters and the working man.

You still would have to fight off the Amish. They don’t abide by English law.
The Amish won’t be hunting on Sunday. I own a farm and have Amish neighbors that are good people. Set boundaries with regard to what is permissible and what is not early and you are good to go.

Yes, I am in total favor of Sunday hunting in PA.

Mark

I have stated that with some real strength in our trespass laws, I could support it. I too have hunted out west, they have teeth in their trespass laws. Your vehicle, rifle etc can be confiscated plus you can get a fine and even jail time. Make the crime severe enough that it is a real deterrent and likely there would be few problems.

In PA now, the penalty for trespass is pretty small and usually requires the landowner to file the charges and pay the fees. Neither the Game Commissipn or the police will do squat.

In PA now, the penalty for trespass is pretty small and usually requires the landowner to file the charges and pay the fees. Neither the Game Commissipn or the police will do squat.
If PA would put some real teeth in trespass law, I could support it. How about a $3,000 fine and loss of hunting privilege for 3 years for trespass? Certainly people would think twice, especially after a few examples have been made.

The PA trespassing laws changed over 4 years ago to increase penalties, make trespassing a primary offense, and add the ability to post land with purple paint. The penalty for a first offense of trespass while hunting is a $250-500 fine, a second offense is up to $3000 and 6 months in prison.

Something else to know is that Sunday hunting on private property requires written permission from the landowner. If you were to find someone on your property hunting on a Sunday without permission, its even more illegal. Then you also have the ability to demand identification from the trespassing hunter and they are obligated to present it. If they don't, that's another violation of the law.

Not sure what else you could want in the law other than to be provided with your own free private security. I wish people with such entrenched opinions would at least be up to date on the laws they're complaining about.

Last edited:
Hopefully it passes, but any change in PA is the end of the world to a lot of people here. An extra couple days a season to hunt and people will be shot if they go for a walk or all the doe will be killed :rolleyes:. Now if you would really like to start a discussion bring up the topic of changing the opening day of gun season from Monday to Saturday.
People will be shot, all the does will be killed? Playing right into the anti's hands there!

Agree with you on weekend hunting openers if weather isn't an issue.

Is the anti doe shooting sentiment still strong in PA like it used to be? (FWIW For westerners--for some for years it was darn near a jailable offense to shoot a doe for many there, caused more then one good big game bio to get fed up and leave).

Where I hunt we've had fewer deer for years than we had in the 80's and 90's. And I continue to see more buck movement and sign and FAR more mature bucks than I saw in those days when we protected more does with permits needed to shoot them than we do now....of course things are set to timber harvest way too much way too fast so if we get a few bad winters they are going to be hurt bad, but not as bad as further north where theres little ag or oak.

The Amish won’t be hunting on Sunday. I own a farm and have Amish neighbors that are good people. Set boundaries with regard to what is permissible and what is not early and you are good to go.

Yes, I am in total favor of Sunday hunting in PA.

Mark

It’s shockingly obvious that you’re not dealing with the same Amish that I am.

The PA trespassing laws changed over 4 years ago to increase penalties, make trespassing a primary offense, and add the ability to post land with purple paint. The penalty for a first offense of trespass while hunting is a $250-500 fine, a second offense is up to $3000 and 6 months in prison.

Something else to know is that Sunday hunting on private property requires written permission from the landowner. If you were to find someone on your property hunting on a Sunday without permission, its even more illegal. Then you also have the ability to demand identification from the trespassing hunter and they are obligated to present it. If they don't, that's another violation of the law.

Not sure what else you could want in the law other than to be provided with your own free private security. I wish people with such entrenched opinions would at least be up to date on the laws they're complaining about.
Like I said, penalty is almost nothing. They may have stiffened up penalty for repeat offenses, but primary is next to nothing.

Like I said, penalty is almost nothing. They may have stiffened up penalty for repeat offenses, but primary is next to nothing.

Someone in the scenario you lined out earler in the thread, trespassing and a shooting at deer on a Sunday without landowner permission while you're out walking your dog, would be in violation of 3-5 different laws.

Theres some variables at play but they could be eligible for something like $1500-6000+ fines, 3-6 months in jail, and several years of nationwide hunting license revocation for a first offense. Then pretty much double it for any second offenses.

Last edited:
I would like to see a stiff FIRST penalty for any trespass, Sunday or not.

I stated I could sign on for Sunday hunting if the trespass laws had teeth in PA like other states, was not referring to just Sunday, sorry I did not make that clear.

I used to hunt pigs in FL when being down there over the winter. They too have pretty stiff trespass laws. A group of us leased 1600 acres, we were shown the boundaries and warned of the stiff laws then.

I would like to see a stiff FIRST penalty for any trespass, Sunday or not.

I stated I could sign on for Sunday hunting if the trespass laws had teeth in PA like other states, was not referring to just Sunday, sorry I did not make that clear.

I used to hunt pigs in FL when being down there over the winter. They too have pretty stiff trespass laws. A group of us leased 1600 acres, we were shown the boundaries and warned of the stiff laws then.
What counts as a stiff penalty for trespass in your book?

Well let's see. Out west they can confiscate your vehicle, rifle and all possessions in the vehicle, least that is what a couple of guides told me while hunting with them. That seems pretty stiff to me. I am a bit easier, how about a $3,000 fine and loss of hunting privileges for a year?

That should not bother any ethical hunter as an ethical hunter does not trespass. I would sure think it would get even the most determined trespassers to exercise some brain activity mulling it over to decide if it is worth it.

We bought most of the land we own, busted our butt's to pay it off before retirement. We did inherit a 60 acre tract from my wife's parents. We did not spend hundreds of thousands of dollars for it to have anyone who buys a hunting licence, atv or whatever to run all over it.

Are you a landowner? Have you ever had a trespasser try to run you off your own land? I have. Have you ever had to clean up garbage left by people trespassing on your land? I have. Have you ever had people on ATV's ruin your trails making ruts and damaging water management ditches on your property? I have. I could go on.

So excuse me if I have stiff standards where trespassing is concerned, I have lots of first hand experience with people trespassing on me and then I am left to clean up the messes, all while the law does virtually nothing to them.

Where these experiences Monday to Saturday or on Sunday?

What penalties have teeth on Sunday but lack substance Monday to Saturday? I don't get it.

Where these experiences Monday to Saturday or on Sunday?

What penalties have teeth on Sunday but lack substance Monday to Saturday? I don't get it.
Maybe you need to reread my posts. I stated back a few that I apologized in making it unclear that I was referring to any trespassing.

Well let's see. Out west they can confiscate your vehicle, rifle and all possessions in the vehicle, least that is what a couple of guides told me while hunting with them. That seems pretty stiff to me. I am a bit easier, how about a $3,000 fine and loss of hunting privileges for a year?

That should not bother any ethical hunter as an ethical hunter does not trespass. I would sure think it would get even the most determined trespassers to exercise some brain activity mulling it over to decide if it is worth it.

We bought most of the land we own, busted our butt's to pay it off before retirement. We did inherit a 60 acre tract from my wife's parents. We did not spend hundreds of thousands of dollars for it to have anyone who buys a hunting licence, atv or whatever to run all over it.

Are you a landowner? Have you ever had a trespasser try to run you off your own land? I have. Have you ever had to clean up garbage left by people trespassing on your land? I have. Have you ever had people on ATV's ruin your trails making ruts and damaging water management ditches on your property? I have. I could go on.

So excuse me if I have stiff standards where trespassing is concerned, I have lots of first hand experience with people trespassing on me and then I am left to clean up the messes, all while the law does virtually nothing to them.
Wow. I sure do hate that for PA that they're the only state out of 50 that has trespassing problems.

It’s shockingly obvious that you’re not dealing with the same Amish that I am.
There are bad actors of course, but my neighbors respect my property lines. It helps that I communicate with them on a regular basis and we oft times help each other.

If it’s that bad in your area you might want to get to know the local warden or deputy warden and also request a meeting with the local Amish Bishop. I had issues with English men trespassing on atvs and damaging fences in the past. Fortunately, the PA State Police handled swiftly and word quickly spread in our small town that I wasn’t playing around.

I am still in favor of Sunday hunting.

Mark

People will be shot, all the does will be killed? Playing right into the anti's hands there!

Agree with you on weekend hunting openers if weather isn't an issue.

Is the anti doe shooting sentiment still strong in PA like it used to be? (FWIW For westerners--for some for years it was darn near a jailable offense to shoot a doe for many there, caused more then one good big game bio to get fed up and leave).

Where I hunt we've had fewer deer for years than we had in the 80's and 90's. And I continue to see more buck movement and sign and FAR more mature bucks than I saw in those days when we protected more does with permits needed to shoot them than we do now....of course things are set to timber harvest way too much way too fast so if we get a few bad winters they are going to be hurt bad, but not as bad as further north where theres little ag or oak.
It's a good mix between the anti-doe people and not. The people getting shot speech I hear from others who are against a Sunday hunt. Grabbing onto anything they can to make an argument of it. In the hills in northern PA there are not a lot of doe or deer for that matter. Most of the state has plenty though.

I hate trespassers as much as anyone, but there is a reason first time fines aren’t crazy high. Accidents can happen even though there really aren’t any excuses with technology today. Oh, and no one is getting their truck, guns and possessions taken in Montana for a first time offense for trespassing.

Setting aside the idea that trespassing is wrong no matter which day it occurs on so needs to be separated from any Sunday hunting consideration...and that trespassing penalties have increased...It would be interesting to find out how many trespassing complaints are reported, what the result of reporting is, and if anything was done if landowners didn't like the result.

We have been struggling with blue laws and Sunday hunting in Maryland for years. Limited deer hunting is now allowed along with some turkey hunting. We still can’t duck hunt. It’s really just ridiculous and the only positive thing I can say is it’s slowly getting better.

There is nothing worse than a long work week followed with crappy Saturday weather that limits what you can do that day.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TrentR
Back