OPPOSE BLM land Transfer in ND!

The state gives 37,000 acres of surface and 160k acres of minerals to the tribes. These state acres are predominantly in non-oil producing reservations (standing rock, spirit lake, sisseton, turtle mountains).

In return the BLM(instead of the tribe) gives the state federal surface acres and mineral acres in western ND, where the oil is.

The BLM serves as a sort of proxy, trading federal acres to the state on the tribes behalf. Because the tribe is getting something for nothing. They are literally giving up nothing in this deal. You and I, as federal public land owners are giving up federally managed acres of surface and mineral on their behalf.

The state gets to take surface acres and minerals that currently produce relatively little income(grazing only) and exchange them for oil producing acres in western ND. Where they will have grazing revenue and oil revenue.

Again, there are some components we dont take issue with. We have no issue with the tribes wanting to consolidate lands and minerals inside their reservation boundaries. We have no issue with the state wanting something in return for those acres. But why do you and I as public land owners and users have to give up something while the tribe gives up nothing?
Ok, got it. Makes sense for the tribes, and for ND (sort of). The federal government, and by extension the 99.8% of the US population that does not live in ND, gets nothing in the deal.

Right? We get nothing? We just lose our public land to enrich North Dakotans and the tribes in ND?

OK, so the ND congressional delegation want to rob federal resources for benefit themselves. Whoopde Frickin Do…won’t literally ever other legislator in DC tell them to kick rocks? The bill costs their constituents, i.e. 99.8% of Americans.

Right? Why are we worried about this? The ND congressional delegation can go after the moon next for all I care.

The state gives 37,000 acres of surface and 160k acres of minerals to the tribes. These state acres are predominantly in non-oil producing reservations (standing rock, spirit lake, sisseton, turtle mountains).

In return the BLM(instead of the tribe) gives the state federal surface acres and mineral acres in western ND, where the oil is.

The BLM serves as a sort of proxy, trading federal acres to the state on the tribes behalf. Because the tribe is getting something for nothing. They are literally giving up nothing in this deal. You and I, as federal public land owners are giving up federally managed acres of surface and mineral on their behalf.

The state gets to take surface acres and minerals that currently produce relatively little income(grazing only) and exchange them for oil producing acres in western ND. Where they will have grazing revenue and oil revenue.

Again, there are some components we dont take issue with. We have no issue with the tribes wanting to consolidate lands and minerals inside their reservation boundaries. We have no issue with the state wanting something in return for those acres. But why do you and I as public land owners and users have to give up something while the tribe gives up nothing?
Why not start with this and have the memo coming from BHA lay this all out? Why pull at the heartstrings of "omg they are taking our federal lands and we can't ever hunt there again"?

Last edited:
What not start with this and have the memo coming from BHA lay this all out? Why pull at the heartstrings of "omg they are taking our federal lands and we can't ever hunt there again"?
I know, right? I think the BHA oversimplified the issue.

Can you give me the statistics of how many state lands have been sold to private in the last 10 years? Last 25 years?

Also, What percentage of state lands are close to public use?
2.1 million acres of state land when nevada became a state - handpicked land that was the best in the state. Almost 2 million of it sold. Might be the worst example - but the process is hardly unique.

Some "influencer" has been trying to educate people for quite a while on the topic. Shame this video has 5.5k views, maybe sharing it will help?

OK, so the ND congressional delegation want to rob federal resources for benefit themselves. Whoopde Frickin Do…won’t literally ever other legislator in DC tell them to kick rocks? The bill costs their constituents, i.e. 99.8% of Americans.

Right? Why are we worried about this? The ND congressional delegation can go after the moon next for all I care.

In the response I received from Senator John Hoeven, he stated The North Dakota Trust Lands Completion Act (S. 1088) Unanimously passed the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee. It ain't just Mike Lee voting for this.

Here's a link to the 19 members of the committee. https://www.energy.senate.gov/members

Chairman​

JOE MANCHIN III

West Virginia

Ranking Member​

JOHN BARRASSO

Wyoming

Democratic Members​

RON WYDEN

Oregon

MARIA CANTWELL

Washington

BERNARD SANDERS

Vermont

MARTIN HEINRICH

New Mexico

MAZIE K. HIRONO

Hawaii

ANGUS S. KING, JR.

Maine

CATHERINE CORTEZ MASTO

Nevada

JOHN HICKENLOOPER

Colorado

ALEX PADILLA

California

Republican Members​

JAMES E. RISCH

Idaho

MIKE LEE

Utah

STEVE DAINES

Montana

LISA MURKOWSKI

Alaska

JOHN HOEVEN

North Dakota

BILL CASSIDY

Louisiana

CINDY HYDE-SMITH

Mississippi

JOSH HAWLEY

Missouri

Related Links​

Because politics. If you vote for my pillaging of land in ND, I'll vote for you pillaging of federal land in AK.

Also, most constituents in other states don't care about a few thousand acres in ND, their congressmen can trade it away with little repercussion...unless enough of us make it clear that we DO care.

Because politics. If you vote for my pillaging of land in ND, I'll vote for you pillaging of federal land in AK.

Also, most constituents in other states don't care about a few thousand acres in ND, their congressmen can trade it away with little repercussion...unless enough of us make it clear that we DO care.
I emailed my 3 reps, thanks. I have spent lots of time on ND federal lands - I am loathe to see any of it lost.

Thanks for sharing this. I had heard a bit through BHA. Please keep us updated

Any update on this ??
Representative Armstrong is currently ignoring any request to discuss this issue. We are working to keep it off the public lands package that will come later this year.

I'm attending a meeting in the near future to discuss the details with the North Dakota Trust Lands Department and I also have an inquiry into the BLM to get some more details. Unfortunately the BLM's state office is being kept relatively in the dark about the bill.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacksoncsalmon
Back