Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Old scopes... that work

While not that old, I have a Redfield Revolution that I still use on my .243. I think they were way underrated for a budget priced scope. too bad Leupold got rid of them.

I have another Redfield on the first gun my dad ever bought me. A marlin 60 .22LR. still have it.

Have a marlin 783 in 22 mag I use a 4x El Paso Weaver on, works fine. My 1903 30-06 has a 2 3/4x Redfield Widefield I bought new about 1970 for a 338 win mag; works fine! 25-06 is a 700 Rem with a 3-9x Bushnell on it, the Banner. Been using that 25-06 with that scope on and off over 35 yrs now. My kid has it on loan. I think that means I've lost it! Keep thinking that one day that scope will go ten toes up and I'll get a new one! Or maybe my kid will give it back! :)

While not that old, I have a Redfield Revolution that I still use on my .243. I think they were way underrated for a budget priced scope. too bad Leupold got rid of them.

I have another Redfield on the first gun my dad ever bought me. A marlin 60 .22LR. still have it.
I bought my first hunting rifle in 2011 or 2012. Brand new Stevens 200 (low grade Savage 110) and topped it with a brand new Redfield Revolution. All said I don’t think I have more than about $400 in that rifle. Still use it regularly and that scope is a great value!

I have my dads remington 7600 in .30-06 topped with a tasco scope. Every once in a while i think about upgrading the scope and putting on a recoil pad. Always talk myself out of it, leaving it the way dad had it setup.

20201201_114812.jpg

I put a Redfield Wideview 3x9 back on my old Remington M700 classic recently. That’s what it had on it when I killed my first two bucks with it. I think I’ll get another to put on my Dads old 338 Win mag. Great scope, no issues.

I have several old scopes. The Bausch and Lomb 2.5-8 scopes are still a decent scope by today’s standards. They fit the era of these old Sakos and are still useful while period correct for these older rifles. The top one is a Unertl 4X…

thumbnail_IMG_6504.jpegthumbnail_IMG_6505.jpeg

Great tread. My father passed in January and have his early 70's, Rem 700 in 7mm. The rifle has a Redfield widefield 3x9 on it from the same time period. Have not had a chance to get it out to the range yet, but would really like to keep the setup if all is still good.

I still hunt with a straight 6x Burris that I have had for 30 some years. It is on a wood stocked 300 RUM. Never a problem, I would trust it with my life. I shot it last week at 300 yards. 3 shots in 2 inches, first 2 touched the bottom of a 1-inch bullseye. I have had new much more expensive scopes that moved for no reason.
If you can see a 1" dot at 300 yds with a 6X scope, you have damn good vision. Congrats

If you can see a 1" dot at 300 yds with a 6X scope, you have damn good vision. Congrats
You don’t need to see a 1 inch dot you aim for center of target. Like shooting at the center of a ten inch white gong at 6 or 8 hundred yards.

You don’t need to see a 1 inch dot you aim for center of target. Like shooting at the center of a ten inch white gong at 6 or 8 hundred yards.
Get a piece of typing paper and put it on the table in front of you. Now take a pencil and mark the center of the paper. Next use a straight edge and make an x going from corner to corner on the paper. Center of the x marks the center of the paper. How much did you miss by? There's a reason for aiming points on sighting in targets!

Get a piece of typing paper and put it on the table in front of you. Now take a pencil and mark the center of the paper. Next use a straight edge and make an x going from corner to corner on the paper. Center of the x marks the center of the paper. How much did you miss by? There's a reason for aiming points on sighting in targets!

That won't tell you much.

There are better ways to assess aiming accuracy precision. Paul Matthews described a good one in one of his books. It does require two people and a bit of leniency from the range officer is there is one.

That won't tell you much.

There are better ways to assess aiming accuracy precision. Paul Matthews described a good one in one of his books. It does require two people and a bit of leniency from the range officer is there is one.
All it's supposed to tell you is how bad the human eye is at picking the center point. You could have a rifle that will stack bullet's off the bench but take away the aiming point and try it! Farther away is the aiming point harder it is to do!

All it's supposed to tell you is how bad the human eye is at picking the center point. You could have a rifle that will stack bullet's off the bench but take away the aiming point and try it! Farther away is the aiming point harder it is to do!
Indeed. The human eye is quite excellent at finding centers. Like within 1/4 MOA with aperture sights. That is exactly my point.

I don't shoot that far, never have and never will. For me it serves no useful purpose.
Okay, then don't. You cannot win, if you do not shoot. We can try 100 yds if you wish.

The point is, most people have no idea how well they can shoot with iron sights if only someone teaches them or they actually try to learn. Scopes correct defective vision, but beyond that, they are not as magical as people think.

There is a way to estimate aiming error and it is not by poking a pencil as a sheet of paper on a table.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clinebj22
Back