Of the lesser known names…

I thought you were talking about bargain boots but those Meindls are like $350. Find a sale and Schnees and never look back, timberlines are not very stiff but just stiff enough in my opinion. I also have the beartooths and if I'm going to be sidehilling a lot or in loose rocks I do prefer them but they aren't as comfortable on my feet. Come in widths also.
Timberlines on sale now for $229 at Schneels. Pretty good deal

I have used the Meindl since 2008. That pair finally saw its end this spring. I have an older pair of the vakkums before they were named that when cabelas carried them. Just got another pair. Excellent customer service from them as well.

I bought a pair of kenetrek mountain extreme and crispi this spring. I will not be using them this fall. I feel the kenetrek is way over sized. I had them measure my feet. They put me 2 sizes above any other boot size I’ve worn. The kenetrek are super stiff imo. And with 100 miles on them idk that they are broken in yet? These boots also make my ankles and shins hurt.

The crispi are comfortable, but cannot get them to snug up in a way to make my feet feel good after wearing them all day. They also make my ankles hurt after a full day. Not sure if that’s from their ABSS.

Call and chat with the folks at Meindl. They have a pretty good return policy also.
I want to follow up with this. I stated earlier the kenetrek felt over sized. I was down that way recently took them in and told them my concerns. Zero pushback, remeasured foot size same as earlier this year. I asked to try other sizes on. Third pair I tried on was 1.5 sizes smaller. Felt 100 times better. Tried another pair which was 2 sizes smaller, which was too small. The individual who helped me stated he had never seen a foot measure one size a fit 1.5 sizes smaller. I have very flat feet. My guess is smaller size fits better due to insole with some arch. Making my feet fit in smaller size. Half shoe size change is only 1/8”. I’ve worn them for a week since and my feet haven’t felt better. Still a bit stiff but will be using them daily for work and hunting this fall.

Since I was outside the return/exchange timeline I asked what I owed them. They said nothing.

I want to follow up with this. I stated earlier the kenetrek felt over sized. I was down that way recently took them in and told them my concerns. Zero pushback, remeasured foot size same as earlier this year. I asked to try other sizes on. Third pair I tried on was 1.5 sizes smaller. Felt 100 times better. Tried another pair which was 2 sizes smaller, which was too small. The individual who helped me stated he had never seen a foot measure one size a fit 1.5 sizes smaller. I have very flat feet. My guess is smaller size fits better due to insole with some arch. Making my feet fit in smaller size. Half shoe size change is only 1/8”. I’ve worn them for a week since and my feet haven’t felt better. Still a bit stiff but will be using them daily for work and hunting this fall.

Since I was outside the return/exchange timeline I asked what I owed them. They said nothing.
Very good to know! I should take mine in and see what they say! I typically wear a 9.5 but I have 9s and they fit in length very well. They are narrow and I’d prefer wide (got them secondhand not purchased) but it’s not the width that really bothers me. For some reason my heel rubs super bad on the heel cup unless I have two insoles in (which makes it way tight in the narrow boots) or I tape the back of my heel. The boots are surely broken in and absolutely not broken down. I wonder if there is a suggestion they’d make or if their boots just don’t like my feet… they feel great until you’re a few miles in — trying them on in store wouldn’t necessarily help… still haven’t bit the bullet on the Meindls yet but I think I’m gonna soon…. Here’s my kenetreks..

Attachments

• IMG_1353.jpeg
    IMG_1353.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 16
@Deez Nutz @golfer @BrentD @hank4elk @ploxwithblox @Moserkr
And anyone else that said they had Meindls, it says they run large? I’m buying online, would you guys agree?
Last time I ordered I ordered two sizes. When returning just call them they will send over a label. Most of my boots run within a half size of each other. Sucks having to order two but at least you will know. Going with the Vaakum boot?

Last time I ordered I ordered two sizes. When returning just call them they will send over a label. Most of my boots run within a half size of each other. Sucks having to order two but at least you will know. Going with the Vaakum boot?
Really thinking about it!

Meindl Vakuum seem to be the same as my favorite Cabelas Denali. I don't seem to remember them being 1/2 size too big. When I need new boots these will be my choice above many others.

Of the kind of lesser knowns, I've been wearing Hoffman Boots...the Explorer Light Hiker (name is deceiving because it's not light) and the ArmorPro 8". I'm on 3 years with the Explorer and the only time they got wet inside was post-holing in very wet spring snow so some of that was probably wicking down the sock. The ArmorPro could probably be stored in water but seem almost too wide so my feet slip a touch when side hilling.

Meindl Vakuum seem to be the same as my favorite Cabelas Denali. I don't seem to remember them being 1/2 size too big. When I need new boots these will be my choice above many others.

Of the kind of lesser knowns, I've been wearing Hoffman Boots...the Explorer Light Hiker (name is deceiving because it's not light) and the ArmorPro 8". I'm on 3 years with the Explorer and the only time they got wet inside was post-holing in very wet spring snow so some of that was probably wicking down the sock. The ArmorPro could probably be stored in water but seem almost too wide so my feet slip a touch when side hilling.
I had the Denalis in half larger for heavy socks. 12 years of Sierra hunting.
They got stiff. I have started dumping old boots.

Just bit the bullet and placed the order. I usually wear a 9.5 but wintertime I need a little extra room—and I’ve wanted a wide boot. Was going to go 10EE to get that extra room but since pretty much everyone agreed they fit a half size big for sure, I just went with the 9.5EE. Can’t wait to try them on! If they’re comfortable, I can’t wait to treat them! lol something so satisfying about treating leather boots! It’s Like cleaning guns!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DWHauss
Back