NM elk archery vs rifle hunting?

TN VOL

My son and I are considering buying some NM LO tags..yes I know they’re stupid expensive. We’re looking at units that aren’t top tier but are supposed to be pretty good. What’s your alls opinion on doing an archery tag vs a rifle tag if you were going to spend some dough to hunt. This the first time in 7 years my son and I drew nothing in any western state. I know the success rates in the units we’re looking at are around 25-30% during archery and around 30-35% during rifle. I’ve only rifle hunted for elk in MT gen units and 1 time in WY that was a guided wilderness hunt. So I’m sure the NM rifle is nothing like MT or CO gen elk units during rifle. I’ve dreamed of hunting New Mexico elk since I was 10-11 years old from watching Knight & Hale Game Calls hunt there. I’m turning 40 this fall and I’m ready to try NM! Thanks for any thoughts/opinions!

Last edited:
Rut/pre rut bow hunt or Rut /post rut rifle , which has open dates? is the ?
Also there are no rifle hunts in NM.
ES bow hunts or AW=Any Weapon hunts. You can bow, rifle or muzzloader hunt. Most folks use a rifle.

Do you really want to hunt or take a vaca?
There are not going to be less applicants or more tags in eplus anytime soon.
Every rancher I know had tags cut again this year.

Archery typically boasts more hunting opportunities and higher draw odds. To me that is enough to roll the dice with archery equipment.

When buying a LO tag, you would be wise to ask (1) whether it is ranch-only or unit-wide and (2) if ranch-only, whether the property consistently holds elk.

Ended up with a cow tag on a piece of property roughly the size of a good city park last season and nary a legal elk to be seen.

When buying a LO tag, you would be wise to ask (1) whether it is ranch-only or unit-wide and (2) if ranch-only, whether the property consistently holds elk.

Ended up with a cow tag on a piece of property roughly the size of a good city park last season and nary a legal elk to be seen.
Oof - can i ask how much this was?

I have 3 NM unit 12 unit wide tags for sell. 1 bow 2 rifle. If you’re interested please send me your info would be happy to tell ya about them. All guided/fully outfitted
So you are not selling tags at all. You are selling outfitted hunts. You are likely on the wrong hunting forum with this selling privatized elk tags.

So you are not selling tags at all. You are selling outfitted hunts. You are likely on the wrong hunting forum with this selling privatized elk tags.
Not true! Theres a treecarp out there somewhere desperate for this tag

This is a good thread. Considering lo tag for my dad who has had knee replacements and doesn’t get around as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clinebj22
Back