Caribou Gear

New in WA

uneasyrider

Been shooting since I was six years old and now basically a target shooter but used to do a lot of bird hunting and a little deer when I was young. Got on here because I have two rifles it looks like I’m going to have to reload for if I want to shoot them much so looking for connections to brass, etc. I have a Model 1881 Marlin made in 1885 in .40-60 (Winchester .40-65) and I just “accidentally” bought a .300 H&H Magnum on Gunbroker a few weeks ago that was advertised as a .300 Win. Mag. I had all the expectations in the world the Marlin would be hard to find stuff for but had no intention of ending up with the .300 H&H. I hope the seller will compensate me in some way and in the mean time I’m seeing if the reloading stuff is out there. It looks like brass is hard to find and rounds nearly impossible.

Sounds like a waste of fuel to me you should consider stopping at North Dakota it really pretty and once in a life time kinda elk hunting

Been shooting since I was six years old and now basically a target shooter but used to do a lot of bird hunting and a little deer when I was young. Got on here because I have two rifles it looks like I’m going to have to reload for if I want to shoot them much so looking for connections to brass, etc. I have a Model 1881 Marlin made in 1885 in .40-60 (Winchester .40-65) and I just “accidentally” bought a .300 H&H Magnum on Gunbroker a few weeks ago that was advertised as a .300 Win. Mag. I had all the expectations in the world the Marlin would be hard to find stuff for but had no intention of ending up with the .300 H&H. I hope the seller will compensate me in some way and in the mean time I’m seeing if the reloading stuff is out there. It looks like brass is hard to find and rounds nearly impossible.
Welcome to the forums. It is an interesting and educational place.

Welcome,

@BrentD would be your guy on .40-60. Especially if you want to go BP.
I am happy to help. I'm not 100% sure if a .40-60 marlin is the equivalent of the .40-65 that I know. The latter is easily made from .45-70 or bought presqueezed and with proper name tags from Starline - when it is in stock. You can get your name on their list at the Starline website.

Always happy to discuss reloading it, but my expertise is narrow. Can't help with the .300 H&H, but that's probably not a priority since you have a proper hunting rifle in the .40. All the best calibers start with a .4 or larger. :)

Welcome to the forums. It is an interesting and educational place.

I am happy to help. I'm not 100% sure if a .40-60 marlin is the equivalent of the .40-65 that I know. The latter is easily made from .45-70 or bought presqueezed and with proper name tags from Starline - when it is in stock. You can get your name on their list at the Starline website.

Always happy to discuss reloading it, but my expertise is narrow. Can't help with the .300 H&H, but that's probably not a priority since you have a proper hunting rifle in the .40. All the best calibers start with a .4 or larger. :)
I have done a bunch of research on the .40-60 since I got it. The Winchester .40-65 was in effect a rebranding of Marlin’s .40-60. They are exactly the same brass in this case. When you buy .40-60 Marlin from Buffalo Arms they are .40-65 Winchester brass with no modifications.

My priority is actually getting ammo for the H&H. The Marlin is not something I want to shoot much simply because it’s 139 years old. I’m wanting to make a long range target rifle out of the H&H.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 2

Latest posts

Forum statistics