Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

New Elk hunter looking for direction

It’s like anything else man it either takes time or money. Either you need to invest the time boots on the ground to learn an area and how the critters use it to avoid well you. Or you spend money and do ride alongs dumping elk from truck windows. If I only had a week I’d probably be looking at doing a Colorado season and showing up early to scout. Can you bank your pto? You may be better off hunting every other year and taking more time
I can, and probably will bank a couple days this year for next. That might afford me a short trip out of to show up an extra few days early.

It’s like anything else man it either takes time or money. Either you need to invest the time boots on the ground to learn an area and how the critters use it to avoid well you. Or you spend money and do ride alongs dumping elk from truck windows. If I only had a week I’d probably be looking at doing a Colorado season and showing up early to scout. Can you bank your pto? You may be better off hunting every other year and taking more time
I can, and probably will bank a couple days this year for next. That might afford me a short trip out of to show up an extra few days early
You rolling solo?
At the moment I am. I'm trying to talk a couple buddies into going as well, but if I have to I will go solo.

I can, and probably will bank a couple days this year for next. That might afford me a short trip out of to show up an extra few days early

At the moment I am. I'm trying to talk a couple buddies into going as well, but if I have to I will go solo.
I’d remember those conversations no one wants to be part of the exploration trip but when you hit pay dirt they will come running

I completely disagree that boots on the ground is a requirement.
And I understand that most people don't have an extra week to scout.
I hunt 2-3 states per year for the last 12 years. At least 1 of the states is always an OTC. I don't do any boots on the ground scouting at all. Every unit I hunt is the first time I step foot in the unit. Come a day early if you want to learn the roads. You simply need to become a professional at Google Earth Pro and OnX or Basemap. Huge learning curve. I do 99% of my scouting virtually. Always shoot my bull. Don't listen to the noise.
If you want to cut the learning curve take a treeline academy course.

I completely disagree that boots on the ground is a requirement.
And I understand that most people don't have an extra week to scout.
I hunt 2-3 states per year for the last 12 years. At least 1 of the states is always an OTC. I don't do any boots on the ground scouting at all. Every unit I hunt is the first time I step foot in the unit. Come a day early if you want to learn the roads. You simply need to become a professional at Google Earth Pro and OnX or Basemap. Huge learning curve. I do 99% of my scouting virtually. Always shoot my bull. Don't listen to the noise.
If you want to cut the learning curve take a treeline academy course.
I’d say it is do able but you probably also had experience hunting elk and an idea of the country that works for your style of hunting. Personally I’ve killed bulls in 5 states and would still try and get some sort of a scout trip in. Especially for a guy that’s just starting out and has no idea what he is actually looking at

I’d remember those conversations no one wants to be part of the exploration trip but when you hit pay dirt they will come running
Dude ^^^^^^ this to the 1000th degree.

For many years this was the story of my life. Take it from me, if you put all the effort in to EARN the elk you get, don’t give someone else the satisfaction you owe yourself when that day comes. YOU earned it, after all… I’ve had too many friends that can’t find the time— until I say I know where I’m going I know where animals are/were, NOW they got time to come hunt with me. Pshh…

Go earn it, buddy

I can, and probably will bank a couple days this year for next. That might afford me a short trip out of to show up an extra few days early.
Some guys are big on scouting, some aren’t. You will learn a lot, but if you want to do it with tag in hand that is fine. Some guys get lucky. It is also great to get to know the lay of the land, but animals get pushed. I’m sure this is especially the case in any CO OTC unit.

You can learn a lot from a map. Most mapping apps have ‘slope angle’ function- my general rule for new territory is up to 30 is probably doable and over 35 probably not. The weather is the weather. It changes every day.

A young person’s vacation is limited and family comes first. Just get out there and enjoy, and be safe.

Clint, have you thought about coming out West on a cow tag for your initial hunt? I don't mean to be a Debbie downer, but the fact is that most people are going to have tag soup the first time they attempt DIY public land elk hunting. A Wyoming cow tag is about $300, which can save you an awful lot of money, if you are on a hunting budget.

A big part of being successful elk hunting is the mental grind, forcing yourself to keep busting ass when you haven't seen an elk track in 2 days until you figure out where the elk are. Be careful which buddies you convince - if they're hard to talk into coming, they may be hard to talk into grinding it out to get an elk, and you don't want to waste a week of vacation and 4 days driving just to have your buds whining to go home after one hard day.

A big part of being successful elk hunting is the mental grind, forcing yourself to keep busting ass when you haven't seen an elk track in 2 days until you figure out where the elk are. Be careful which buddies you convince - if they're hard to talk into coming, they may be hard to talk into grinding it out to get an elk, and you don't want to waste a week of vacation and 4 days driving just to have your buds whining to go home after one hard day.
I’ve joked about hunting angry before. The longer it takes to get into them the angrier I get and the farther I hike. You’re 100% on point with the mental aspect of this.

Clint, have you thought about coming out West on a cow tag for your initial hunt? I don't mean to be a Debbie downer, but the fact is that most people are going to have tag soup the first time they attempt DIY public land elk hunting. A Wyoming cow tag is about $300, which can save you an awful lot of money, if you are on a hunting budget.
I have thought about it. I went last year on a semi guided cow hunt but that was mostly me getting driven around in the mountains and jumping out to take a shot.
This isn't a bad idea though. Possibly do a cow hunt in a unit that I'd like to bull hunt later. Get to know the area.

I do most of my hunting alone for this exact reason. No one wants to go as hard as I do. I spent a week in the mountains of Virginia last fall trying to find a black bear. You want to talk about difficult! Lol. But I was out there morning, noon, and evening every day. I enjoy the grind. Most people do not.

This is really good. ^

Another option - I see you are going bear hunting this fall.
If you like bear hunting, apply for NM elk each year. All NR have the same odds in the 6% tag pool.
If you draw - awesome. If you don't you already have the annual license; buy a bear tag, maybe a turkey tag, and go explore elk units you'd consider hunting.

Now you're bear hunting and getting exposure to elk.

I know this is also an elk thread but it may be worth picking up a deer tag in co and hunting that the first year in a spot you wanna try and elk hunt. Still get to scout with a tag and see what it takes to get a smaller animal back to the pickup

I'd agree on a family trip to the mountain west to explore and do some scouting! Other than that, I'm a fan of just going for it and seeing where the cards fall. You'll learn a lot and will likely not get anything, but it'll be a heck of an experience. I like the idea of getting a deer tag - you can also just get a doe deer tag, which probably gives you the best chance of putting meat in the freezer and you'll be able to get some knowledge as well. There is nothing quite like the Rocky Mountains in the fall!

I think being good at research is important.
Escouting is important.
Boots on the ground is important.
Really getting after it and not quitting physically and mentally are very important.
Being very good with your weapon so you don’t screw up opportunities is important.

Guys that consistently kill animals, especially quality animals. Can do all of those things well.

There is some good info on this thread. Remember that forum advice is free but, that doesn’t mean it’s good advice.

Last edited:
My buddy in Wyoming I’ve been hunting with him for 15+ years guys is an absolute killer I’m not sure if he has ate a tag in that time line. He is headed to nevada for a mule deer hunt in October and we both thought he needed to make a pre trip but it wasn’t in the cards for him. His saving grace is he knows how to hunt the animal he is after and the terrain they like that compliments his style of hunting. The pre trip wasn’t a thing due to work so he is going down 3-4 days early. There is a lot of ways to do this you just need to figure it out for you

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianjohn
Back