New AR Build Caliber

Which caliber for a new AR Build to hunt and punch paper?

• 223 Wylde

Votes: 13 19.4%
  • 22 Nosler

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • 6mm ARC

Votes: 34 50.7%
  • 6.8 SPC

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • 300 HAM'R

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
I have a 6.8 and I love it. No recoil and uses 110-120g bullets and is coyote and whitetail medicine. Good out to 300 yds or so. Good luck.

blacksheep

I have a 6.8 and I love it. No recoil and uses 110-120g bullets and is coyote and whitetail medicine. Good out to 300 yds or so. Good luck.

blacksheep
I have amassed enough parts for another build. That may be my next. Just the upper as I am building a good rifle lower and just don't need to build another.

When I got bored during covid I built four. Out of those the 22 Nosler is cool but my dedicated 22 Long Rifle is my favorite. Ten year old grandson loves it.

I went 223 wylde because chasing brass sucks and I don’t like a brass catcher hanging off the side so it’s the cheapest one to just have fun shooting with. Black hills 77gr TMK and go hunting.

I helped a friend put together a 6.8 SPC last year and it’s a shooter. It was easy to find parts and not much tweaking to make it shoot great.
My LWRC M6A2 in 6.8SPC is wonderful as well. 1" groups or better, near zero recoil, with Barnes TSX's a killing machine... do recommend :)

I bypassed the 6MM ARC. I am building a 25-45 Sharps. My dad has hunted with one for years and took his biggest buck to date. He is on the latter end of deer hunting, so I am going to pick up where he left off. I have my barrel and dies. Waiting on the gas block and tube to come in.

I bypassed the 6MM ARC. I am building a 25-45 Sharps. My dad has hunted with one for years and took his biggest buck to date. He is on the latter end of deer hunting, so I am going to pick up where he left off. I have my barrel and dies. Waiting on the gas block and tube to come in.
I don’t think that you’ll regret it. You’ll touch the heartstrings and also have an effective cartridge. The pragmatic side of that cartridge is also that it is “obsolescence-proof” in that you can form the brass readily from 223/5.56 brass, and .25cal bullets are ubiquitous.

If you want another boutique AR cartridge later then you can look at another upper that scratches whatever itch you are looking to scratch.

Let us know how it turns out and performs

ETA: I just noticed that my avatar photo is of my son napping on a youth draw hunt while holding/leaning over the AR in 6.5G that I had built for him and his sister. I had similar questions before choosing that cartridge, and 25-45 was one of my considerations for the pragmatic reasons listed above. Several options would have fit my bill for performance envelope. It has performed well on several deer, and he has since moved on to a bolt gun in… 6.5G

I don’t think that you’ll regret it. You’ll touch the heartstrings and also have an effective cartridge. The pragmatic side of that cartridge is also that it is “obsolescence-proof” in that you can form the brass readily from 223/5.56 brass, and .25cal bullets are ubiquitous.

If you want another boutique AR cartridge later then you can look at another upper that scratches whatever itch you are looking to scratch.

Let us know how it turns out and performs

ETA: I just noticed that my avatar photo is of my son napping on a youth draw hunt while holding/leaning over the AR in 6.5G that I had built for him and his sister. I had similar questions before choosing that cartridge, and 25-45 was one of my considerations for the pragmatic reasons listed above. Several options would have fit my bill for performance envelope. It has performed well on several deer, and he has since moved on to a bolt gun in… 6.5G
I have 2 6.5G. A PSA build and a Bear Creek. Funny, Bear Creek has had a reputation in the past for being cheap and having issues. Numerous rounds through it and never a hiccup and it shoots Sub-MOA. I just worked up a nice load with a 120 grain TGK that I will be hunting with this year. It has a 16" barrel and is super handy for a ground blind.

My avatar is my son and I on his last deer hunt with me in 2020. He passed in 2021. Enjoy every minute with your kids. My faith in the Lord and those memories keep me going when I don't have anything left.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jachanzar91
Back