Nephew Perma’s 100 Day Challenge

I admit it’s almost unfair how this unfolded, but every hunt has a story. Here we go.

Knowing we (wife and I) had one day to get it done, there was no room for pickiness. In my mind, I was shooting the first buck I saw. We wake up at 3:30 and leave around 4:30 to get to the edge of the unit. The plan was to walk the boundaries to get away from pressure and stay near water. Pretty sure the rutting was over at this point of the year.

We turn west into the unit and are greeted by our first buck. It’s legal shooting light and he’s 200 yards off the road, easy chip shot. My wife and I kept glassing him only to conclude he’s just too small. So anxiety hit a little because I’m passing pronghorn already and don’t know that we’ll see anymore. And we’re low on meat.

We drive a few yards down the road onto a little bump that overlooks a bowl. I tell my wife to start glassing while I get my boots and gaiters on. She’s able to glass four muley does but no bucks. I get up to the bump and glass farther west and I find a buck with three does. I decide that we need to take a closer look.

He was over four folds in the land so we drive to the top of where the folds begin. We walk out and I get a spotter; looks to be a decent buck. I shoulder my rifle and pack and we’re off. Half way down into the bowl we bump a doe and she runs away. Following her is this odd looking buck that had a weird chip on his curve. I glass him and decide that’s the one. He had big mass and seemed tall. That’s the one.

I hit him with the range finder at exactly 300 yards flat. Click to 3 MOA. Breathe in, breathe out. Cli-*boom*, *thwack*. He buckles his knees a bit and takes off.

Here’s where I made it weird. I had thought this gun would have some knockdown power that would make this thing drop, so for it to take off after that I was a bit surprised. I told my wife that I was 100% sure I hit him and heard it, but he didn’t respond like I thought. No smoke puffs from the dirt.

Then, out comes this twin tower looking buck who’s literally taunting me and testing my morals. He was easily taller than the one I just shot and the one I had from last year. I wanted him to run off the hill so if I did in fact miss, I’d make a play on him. He literally pranced around there for 10 more minutes to then I had enough and started pushing him down the bump he was on. It wasn’t 50 yards from the shot where I glassed the hillside where my buck ran to and found him piled up. Twin towers trotted away freely but was later told of his location to a dad and his youth hunter daughter. Hope you guys take him out.

I walk up to him and am all smiles. I do admit though, a touch of guilt. Not only for taking a life which is normal, but how fast it all happened. This tag was only in my pocket for 3 days, physically, a few hours. My guilt is washed away after a closer examination of the entry and exit wounds; a perfect lung pass through. He didn’t suffer and my reloaded ammo did exactly what I envisioned.

I look closer and see that his driver side hook is broken off, his face scarred and his neck gouged from fighting. He was a tough bratty buck and ruled this bowl. Very thrilled to hold off and take this one.

We’re on the board!

IMG_4604.jpegIMG_1164.jpegIMG_1165.jpeg

I admit it’s almost unfair how this unfolded, but every hunt has a story. Here we go.

Knowing we (wife and I) had one day to get it done, there was no room for pickiness. In my mind, I was shooting the first buck I saw. We wake up at 3:30 and leave around 4:30 to get to the edge of the unit. The plan was to walk the boundaries to get away from pressure and stay near water. Pretty sure the rutting was over at this point of the year.

We turn west into the unit and are greeted by our first buck. It’s legal shooting light and he’s 200 yards off the road, easy chip shot. My wife and I kept glassing him only to conclude he’s just too small. So anxiety hit a little because I’m passing pronghorn already and don’t know that we’ll see anymore. And we’re low on meat.

We drive a few yards down the road onto a little bump that overlooks a bowl. I tell my wife to start glassing while I get my boots and gaiters on. She’s able to glass four muley does but no bucks. I get up to the bump and glass farther west and I find a buck with three does. I decide that we need to take a closer look.

He was over four folds in the land so we drive to the top of where the folds begin. We walk out and I get a spotter; looks to be a decent buck. I shoulder my rifle and pack and we’re off. Half way down into the bowl we bump a doe and she runs away. Following her is this odd looking buck that had a weird chip on his curve. I glass him and decide that’s the one. He had big mass and seemed tall. That’s the one.

I hit him with the range finder at exactly 300 yards flat. Click to 3 MOA. Breathe in, breathe out. Cli-*boom*, *thwack*. He buckles his knees a bit and takes off.

Here’s where I made it weird. I had thought this gun would have some knockdown power that would make this thing drop, so for it to take off after that I was a bit surprised. I told my wife that I was 100% sure I hit him and heard it, but he didn’t respond like I thought. No smoke puffs from the dirt.

Then, out comes this twin tower looking buck who’s literally taunting me and testing my morals. He was easily taller than the one I just shot and the one I had from last year. I wanted him to run off the hill so if I did in fact miss, I’d make a play on him. He literally pranced around there for 10 more minutes to then I had enough and started pushing him down the bump he was on. It wasn’t 50 yards from the shot where I glassed the hillside where my buck ran to and found him piled up. Twin towers trotted away freely but was later told of his location to a dad and his youth hunter daughter. Hope you guys take him out.

I walk up to him and am all smiles. I do admit though, a touch of guilt. Not only for taking a life which is normal, but how fast it all happened. This tag was only in my pocket for 3 days, physically, a few hours. My guilt is washed away after a closer examination of the entry and exit wounds; a perfect lung pass through. He didn’t suffer and my reloaded ammo did exactly what I envisioned.

I look closer and see that his driver side hook is broken off, his face scarred and his neck gouged from fighting. He was a tough bratty buck and ruled this bowl. Very thrilled to hold off and take this one.

We’re on the board!

View attachment 344258View attachment 344259View attachment 344260
Very cool buck

Well you can’t have a hunt without something going wrong. Went to go clean the skull. Both my pressure washer and my boiler both decided to call it a life. I can fix the skull boil part but I’ll have to either buy a pressure washer or piss off some residents in town with brain matter going down the local car wash drain.

:) elk hunting next weekend! Morale is high, boys!

Kenetrek Boots

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yvk253
Back