National hunting license trend

Yes, exactly what I'm suggesting because I do it. I buy a total of 8 hunting hunting licenses every year yet I usually only hunt in 2 to 4 states. I have to buy the hunting license in order to be able to submit a draw application. ID is not otc for non residents.
Exactly

A good metric for Wisconsin that is very accurate is just counting the amount of gun deer license sales. Won't give you total hunters but it's a consistent 9 day season that falls the same every year for at least the last 25 years. Only variable that I can think of having an impact on the data is its possible that maybe some people have moved to bow licenses instead of gun. You can get both but maybe NR sales have shifted? Other than that I feel it's a solid metric.

2021: 564,440
2020: 569,203
2019: 564,664
2018: 576,277
I might fill in the rest later....
2006: 644,906

My take is there are a lot of people in the industry stretching the truth to fit a financially driven narrative.
100% yes! Recruitment has worked, lack of opportunities and poor experiences are the kicker on retention. Make sure to like,share, subscribe and use the promo code so influencers can wet their beak as well

General elk and deer tags are otc...
Lol nope. You have a quota system for non residents. That's not OTC.

And as of two years ago, it's now an unfair sprint in an online queue to get a tag. Not even close to OTC.

Yes, exactly what I'm suggesting because I do it. I buy a total of 8 hunting hunting licenses every year yet I usually only hunt in 2 to 4 states. I have to buy the hunting license in order to be able to submit a draw application. ID is not otc for non residents.
Spot on. I've lost count of the NR licenses I've purchased but never set foot (buy points, applied for tag, etc)

2021 - bought 7 hunting licences
New Mexico - Didn’t hunt
Utah - Didn’t hunt
Colorado - Hunted
Ohio - Hunted
New Jersey - Hunted
Arizona - Didn’t hunt
Idaho - Didn’t hunt

I assume many thousands of people have similar multiple licences each year for application and other purposes. This likely wasn’t the case 10 years ago. I’ll bet it makes more than a trivial difference in the statistics.

In my state (NJ) from 1970 to 2020, hunting licences dropped by over half, from about 200,000 to 90,000.

Last edited:
New Mexico - Didn’t hunt
Utah - Didn’t hunt
Colorado - Hunted
Ohio - Hunted
New Jersey - Hunted
Arizona - Didn’t hunt
Idaho - Didn’t hunt

I assume many thousands of people have similar multiple licences each year for application and other purposes. This likely wasn’t the case 10 years ago. I’ll bet it makes more than a trivial difference in the statistics.
NJ — WtF happened, mate?

New Mexico - Didn’t hunt
Utah - Didn’t hunt
Colorado - Hunted
Ohio - Hunted
New Jersey - Hunted
Arizona - Didn’t hunt
Idaho - Didn’t hunt

In my state (NJ) from 1970 to 2020, hunting licences dropped by over half, from about 200,000 to 90,000.
East of the mighty Mississippi, I would guess that most of the states have dropped similar to NJ.

I know I can see it here. 20 years ago and even 10 years ago, public lands in my area were more crowded to the point where it was very difficult to get a deer. Now, if you can't get a deer on public land it's because you weren't willing to put in the effort.

Lol nope. You have a quota system for non residents. That's not OTC.

And as of two years ago, it's now an unfair sprint in an online queue to get a tag. Not even close to OTC.
You log in and buy the tag- I'll say it slow, o v e r ...t h e... c o u n t e r....

How many times have you actually hunted ID?

You log in and buy the tag- I'll say it slow, o v e r ...t h e... c o u n t e r....

How many times have you actually hunted ID?
Twice. You really think that is how it works? I can't log in right now and buy a general deer tag and there are like 20 general tags left for elk. Over the counter means I can show up a week before the season and buy a tag, i.e. they are unlimited (so what you have for residents). If its not unlimited, its not OTC but rather a quota system.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whipple
Back