Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Mountain Goat Taxidermy

Flatrock

I'm one of the few lucky ones who pulled a mountain goat tag this year and am heading out at the end of the week for my hunt. Assuming I shoot one, I still don't know what I'd like to do with it as far as taxidermy goes. For anyone here who has shot one or has a close friend/relative that shot one, what did you do for a mount? Did you like how it turned out or wish you had done something different?

We don't have much extra room in our house and I just don't have a lot of desire to do a full body mount. I don't really want to spend 6-8k on one either. Plus with it still being early in the year and having a nanny tag, I don't know if it will be the best hair.

Just doing a euro mount and a rug would be cool but I'm not even sure where I'd put a rug. Hang it on the wall? Throwing it over a couch wouldn't really work in our house. A nice pedestal mount might be nice.

If anyone has any thoughts or insight, I'm all ears.

Here's a thread with some thoughts on the subject.

Can you case skin it and hang the pelt from the wall? Goat hair is the trophy and I imagine that an early season nanny is going to have really soft hair.

For the sake of the goat herd, please shoot a nanny without a kid. Mortality for orphaned kids is almost always 100%.

Thanks guys for the input and @Oak for that thread link.

@LuketheDog that is pretty sweet! Although I'm not sure I'd even have a place for something like that. That's really cool though.

@Gerald Martin I don't even know what case skinning is. Ha. Will have to google that.

I got mine back a few weeks ago, I originally left the hooves on when I skinned it but they didn't have quite the same "cool" factor as bear claws once I laid it out at the taxi's, it will hang on the wall in my little corner of the basement (says my wife)...

View attachment 339031
Looks great!!
But I can see it now. I would trip over it in the middle of the night and the goat gets it’s revenge.

When you have a dead mount done, make sure the taxidermist drops the ears and makes the eyes cloudy. Otherwise it looks alive.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rut
Back