Montana's Impossible Housing Situation

Elky Welky

From this article: https://billingsgazette.com/news/lo...cle_ba2c0042-a9d7-52dd-9f12-4b7cccf9d7a9.html

From 2018 to 2023, the median home sales price in Montana rose from $266,473 to $505,419, according to the Montana Association of Realtors. That’s an eye-popping 89.6% increase. In that same time frame, U.S. Census Bureau data shows the median household income in Montana rose from $55,328 to $70,804, a relatively paltry 27.9% increase.

Wage increases in Montana are not even close to keeping up with housing price gains.

I entered the job market in my current field in 2018, started watching the housing market then, and my wage increase percentage has tracked right along with this data. I see no reason to even try to get a house at this point.

Interesting metrics. Montana is now the most unaffordable state for residents to purchase a house. Passed California, Hawaii, and Oregon. Not most expensive houses in the country, but income vs cost. Glad we bought a house and a chunk of property during the housing meltdown. Sure as hell couldn’t afford one now.

It’s a tricky dynamic for many young people around here, that’s for sure. Montana has become more desirable to live in since 2018, which will naturally increase housing costs, but won’t necessarily increase general wages.

HCOL areas tend to have lots of economic opportunity, but not evenly distributed.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozarkhuntress
Back