Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Montana Statewide Grizzly Bear Management Plan

Sytes

One step forward, no steps back.

Dreaming of Jeannie to see this through.

The plan is the Touchdown Tommy pass play to Taco Dowler in the griz end zone. :) We Bobcats are hoping it is viewed and appreciated statewide
Montana Brawl of the Wild coming soon ... stayed tuned.

And yes, Sytes, we see another baby step toward grizzly bear management too.

When I read that, I see a fairly mature and well thought out management plan.

I am convinced that the majority of those opposed to state management just don’t like the idea of the possibility of hunting grizzly Bears. The “ scientific” reasons I’ve heard seem based on goalposts that are moving and conjecture about exploding recreation and are not at all explicit.

For people who are opposed to management, I’ve gotten in the habit of asking them what specifically they think will happen if the state takes on management. A reduction in Griz numbers that would put the population in peril is rarely the answer, because I think they know that won’t happen. Even worst case scenario, if they’re right and Montana fails to manage her Grizz properly, they will just be relisted. So where is the big risk?

It’s time to move on in my opinion.

On a sidenote, I’ve been collecting the comments of a lot of the conservation orgs and scientists who were opposed to state management of wolves 15 years ago. Looking through old newspapers. Lots of apocalyptic talk about Wolf population plummeting, and the eradication of wolves from the landscape. Mirrors of comments from today’s opponents of state management of grizzlies. In 2010 Montana had its first wolf hunting season, there were around 600 wolves in Montana. After 15 years of hunting and trapping wolves, we have around 1100.

Few things are as telling about whether someone knows what they’re talking about or not as much as someone’s ability to predict what will happen regarding the topic in question. Credentials and passion do not an accurate prediction make.

I see a fairly mature and well thought out management plan.
Agree.
It’s time to move on in my opinion.
Yep.
... whether someone knows what they’re talking about or not as much as someone’s ability to predict what will happen regarding the topic in question.
So many factors at play that prediction is a guess at best. I prefer to let US Wildlife and FWP continue to collaborate, then turn over management IAW this plan, "see what happens", and allow the state to make appropriate adjustments.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ttt
Back