Advertisement

Montana season structure proposal 2.0

I probably missed it somewhere, but how would this work for non residents? Would they draw a tag first and then choose whether they would hunt October mule deer or November whitetail?
They would just have to select it. Doesn’t really matter at this point they can shoot either one. It’s managed by they can only sell x amount of tags

We cant let perfection get in the way of progress. Everyone has their own ideas and desires, but overall this is a move in the right direction. So i plan to stand behind it in existing form.

As long as we are talking wishlist though - id really like some GEN areas in the alt seasons be LE to burn some of the gross point creep we all see. In example, few tags in many units so you can hunt a general unit for bulls during the cow only season... also do the same thing for mule deer rut hunts when elk season is open. Having worthwhile places to apply and use points, especially for someone early, is lacking in my opinion. It would maintain opportunity to hunt the rut for mule deer, and provide new opportunity to hunt the late rut for elk.

We cant let perfection get in the way of progress. Everyone has their own ideas and desires, but overall this is a move in the right direction. So i plan to stand behind it in existing form.

As long as we are talking wishlist though - id really like some GEN areas in the alt seasons be LE to burn some of the gross point creep we all see. In example, few tags in many units so you can hunt a general unit for bulls during the cow only season... also do the same thing for mule deer rut hunts when elk season is open. Having worthwhile places to apply and use points, especially for someone early, is lacking in my opinion. It would maintain opportunity to hunt the rut for mule deer, and provide new opportunity to hunt the late rut for elk.
More "first and only choice" LE tags in general would be a positive move. I imagine many people hunting the breaks in archery would grumble but also appreciate the decreased pressure when higher point holders stop showing up there while building points for a rifle tag.

More "first and only choice" LE tags in general would be a positive move. I imagine many people hunting the breaks in archery would grumble but also appreciate the decreased pressure when higher point holders stop showing up there while building points for a rifle tag.
It baffles me that fwp just decided to do that on only certain archery tags

Back