Montana in ONE picture.

RobsPics001.jpg

Every year I visit my father up near Swan Lake, Montana and I pick up this red, smoothed mudstone that is on his desk. And every year my father asks “Do you remember where that rock came from?” And every year I answer “Yea, it came out of that bull trout I caught at Big Salmon Lake in the Bob.” He’s 85 so he remembers things I did 35 years ago much better than what I said one year ago.

I don’t know how many times Dad brought me into the Bob Marshall Wilderness on his horses. Sometimes I brought a friend and sometimes he brought a friend too. But if we couldn’t find friends we just rode together, leaning off our saddle to pick huckleberries, stopping to shoot any grouse that attacked us. The route was often different, but we always wound up at the same place, that little triangular island that split the river flowing into Big Salmon Lake.

I would stand on that triangular island all day long casting flies and lures at cutthroat and bull trout. And I mean all day. The left fork was better for bull trout, the right fork was better for cutthroat, at least until the bull trout came over looking for a meal; then the fishing would shut off. Sometimes a bull trout would sneak over and attack a cutthroat that I was reeling in. I once saw a bull attack a stick that floated into the lake. Bulls aren’t terribly smart but they are large and fun to catch. Their red meat and migratory habits must have made the early people think they were salmon, hence the name of the lake, but they sure don’t taste or fight like salmon so we usually threw them back and kept the cutthroat.

My Dad didn’t fish much so he would try to make his case to go elsewhere. “There are big fish at Salmon Forks, how about we ride down there? The White River is really good too.” Or “Let’s go see the Chinese Wall.” My answer was always the same. “No thanks, I like it here.” So he would go feed the horses and clean the grouse and trout off the frying pans. I guess he decided that if I was happy then it was worth it because we sure went there a lot. Variety for him would have to be going into Big Salmon Lake from Spotted Bear or Smith Creek instead of Holland Lake.

When I caught the bull trout that ate the rock I killed it just to see what the lump was. I’ve seen bull trout eat fish heads, sticks, and my poorly tied flies, but I never thought one would be so dumb that it would eat a rock, especially one so much bigger than its asshole. We still laugh about that.

I found this picture while looking for “Montana in one picture.” I took it years ago because I wanted to tell my family about this great rock. I even tell them it is a one of those Belt formation rocks from “the basement of time” that Norman Maclean wrote about, except the raindrops have been smoothed by the stomach contents of the world’s dumbest trout. It is probably my “Montana in one picture,” but I can tell even my own son doesn’t see it as anything more than a plain old rock.

Some day the plain old rock will stop sitting on Dad’s desk and start sitting on mine. And then some day it will stop sitting on anybody’s desk. Before that happens I hope my son can find his own rock and I can keep it and ask him if he remembers where it came from, as if I don’t remember asking him the year before, just so I know that he still remembers.

Last edited:
Rob,
Best story yet,loved everything about it.Behind every photo is a story, Montana has GOOD stories.

Still working on my photo/story.

This panoramic was taken at the top of Helmet Mountain in the Madison Valley. My dad and I started up in the previous hunting season following a drag trail of a bull a guy had just dragged off it by himself. I shot a deer on the way up and we gave up as it started to get steep to get my deer off the mountain before the grizzlies could get to it. The next year we made a point to get to the top just for S & G's. Along the way we found a recent illegal spike elk kill. Lots of steep country. Had some good bonding time. And when we got to the top we found this "Shrine" of a coyote someone shot and left up top with about 3 different caliber empties with it. I have the photo at home in much better quality as I saved this off the internet. Took us about 4 or 5 hours to get to the top from the truck. But the view was way worth it even though we saw no elk and I thought my right knee had damn near disintegrated on the hike up.

Attachments

• dad-pan.jpg
    dad-pan.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 219
RobG, as a young man that lives in Missouri I have been looking at all these pictures of the mountains and beautiful places that Montana has to offer wondering why I live in Missouri. Your picture just became my favorite one on this thread, and reminded me of why I live here, and that is that my family and especially my father lives here!!! Thanks for sharing your picture and story.

I've never been in The Bob, but have wondered about it for decades. Long ago we loaded up the family truckster and at one point ended up at Holland Lake. During our time there we witnessed many horse trailers headed up the road, it was late August and hunting season was close. I commented to my Dad about so many trailers and he noted that this was a major trailhead for "The Bob", what's "The Bob" I asked. Ever since then, I have wondered and questioned and put a trip on my bucket list.

Coincidentally, on the same trip we ended up in the Big Hole, and it drew they same type of wonder and questioning from me too. Two years ago I returned for the first time since that trip and had a wonderful hunting trip with my Dad, brother and nephew. I think Rob's post serves as a stark reminder that a trip on horseback in The Bob needs to move up my bucket list.

Dad and I sheep hunting Upper Rock Creek in 2008, saw some very cool country that year not to mention a lot of great time with someone very important in my life. Unfortunately he was working the day I got to take the hero pic.

Attachments

• camera 013.jpg
    camera 013.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 275
I am liking this thread, keep them coming! Maybe it will push me over the edge to sell out & move out west.......Ohio sucks!

Comparatively, yes it does.

Only having spent 14 days of my lifetime in Montana, I'd have to go with the completion of our pack-out from this spring's bear hunt. Montana's beautiful scenery in front and behind with one of Montana's beautiful critters loading down the packs.

MT2014BlackBear_GK85.jpg

I've never been in The Bob, but have wondered about it for decades. Long ago we loaded up the family truckster and at one point ended up at Holland Lake. During our time there we witnessed many horse trailers headed up the road, it was late August and hunting season was close. I commented to my Dad about so many trailers and he noted that this was a major trailhead for "The Bob", what's "The Bob" I asked. Ever since then, I have wondered and questioned and put a trip on my bucket list.

Coincidentally, on the same trip we ended up in the Big Hole, and it drew they same type of wonder and questioning from me too. Two years ago I returned for the first time since that trip and had a wonderful hunting trip with my Dad, brother and nephew. I think Rob's post serves as a stark reminder that a trip on horseback in The Bob needs to move up my bucket list.

Just do it....

....all from trips into the Bob with my best friend.

RobG's story was outstanding.

Attachments

• Nap.jpg
    Nap.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 318
  • First bull.jpg
    First bull.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 309
  • God's country.jpg
    God's country.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 217
Last edited by a moderator:

Better get after it fast. Before you know it your parents will be all grown up. Glad you guys liked the story. I have so many memories from those trips, usually involving close calls from some misadventure, like when that horse backed up ten feet just so he could reach out and kick me in the jaw. Things never really went how dad planned them, and the horses always had some surprise to spring on us, but those surprises are what I remember the most.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jg722
Back