Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Montana Grizz management

Bigjay73

"the final plan would allow FWP to implement a hunting season for grizzlies in the event they are delisted in parts of Montana, but would not begin until at least five years after they are delisted. However, the Fish and Wildlife Commission and legislature could change those dates if they choose."

Hopefully the hunting could begin sooner than 5 years. Knowing our commission and legislature one would have to think they would change the dates.

When I read the EIS, I feel as if I am reading a mature and well-fleshed out plan. The only real rebuttals I sympathize with are those of a general distrust of FWP to follow the plan.

Whether it comes to wolves or grizz, the question I ask opponents of State Management is "What do you think is going to happen? What will the status of griz or wolf populations be 5 years from now or ten years from now?" It's interesting to hear the responses, and in my personal experience, opposition to delisting has less to do with population concerns - though hyperbole abounds - and more to do with a general distaste regarding the idea of hunting those animals which is implied in State Management.

I'm surprised at the number of 1,000. I would have guessed it was quite a bit more.

I've read in about 2011-13 there were 900 grizzlies in the Rocky Mtn Front and adjacent wilderness areas. This was from the FWP.

I've read in about 2011-13 there were 900 grizzlies in the Rocky Mtn Front and adjacent wilderness areas. This was from the FWP.
We’re probably thinking of the same press release. If memory serves me correctly they had @700 DNA samples and extrapolated an estimated 200-300 additional bears that didn’t leave hair on the barbed wire at the survey sites.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Covenant01
Back