Meat transport back home

maxracx

Happy 4th Hunt-talkers. I have an opportunity to go on a fly in moose hunt in Northeastern Alberta. Just wondering if anyone knew of a meat processor in the FT MacMurray area? My hunting partner and I are looking at all the travel options, should we drive from WI or Fly?? What if we get a moose, how do we get it home?? What if we each shoot one?? If we drive I think the cost of fuel will be similar to shipping something back. If anyone has experience in this area I am all ears. I appreciate any constructive feedback.

BTW, I get it, that our odds of shooting a bull are slim, getting 2 would be almost unheard of.

Its hunting, anything can happen. Id weight the cost of drive vs fly, if driving look at big cooler or even take a generator and good size deep freeze. Are you DIY’ing or useing an outfitter? If the latter Id ask tbem for recommendations.

Happy 4th Hunt-talkers. I have an opportunity to go on a fly in moose hunt in Northeastern Alberta. Just wondering if anyone knew of a meat processor in the FT MacMurray area? My hunting partner and I are looking at all the travel options, should we drive from WI or Fly?? What if we get a moose, how do we get it home?? What if we each shoot one?? If we drive I think the cost of fuel will be similar to shipping something back. If anyone has experience in this area I am all ears. I appreciate any constructive feedback.

BTW, I get it, that our odds of shooting a bull are slim, getting 2 would be almost unheard of.

Its hunting, anything can happen. Id weight the cost of drive vs fly, if driving look at big cooler or even take a generator and good size deep freeze. Are you DIY’ing or useing an outfitter? If the latter Id ask tbem for recommendations.
Speed, the outfitter will debone and cut meat into muscle groups and freeze at camp. They will fly it to air port at Fort MacMurray for a nominal cost. Once back in town, we are on our own.. We are considering bringing a freezer and generator keeping it frozen on the trip home.

I’ve brought two moose and two elk home from BC to Arkansas with no problems. Have it cut, wrapped and frozen there and pack in coolers. You have 3 days to get it home before it starts to thaw.

Back