Kenetrek Boots

Meat slicer recommendations

Elktrack

Which meat slicer do y’all recommend?
I’m wanting one that I can use to slice meat into thin uniform slices for jerky and would also like to be able to slice into 1” slices for steaks.

My slicer is probably the least used of any of the processing equipment I have ever bought. It's not a way top of the line one so maybe if I had one of those I would use it more, but then I would need space to put it because those are heavy and huge. Mine is a $150ish one that specs out okay. I've used it for slicing meat but it doesn't do much better than a sharp knife would and is a lot more work to move around and clean up. Maybe someone else has a different opinion or a really good one that does a better job and is easy to clean up. Mine isn't really hard to clean up, it just isn't worth it to pull it out and set it up and then clean it up when it can cut a 1/16" slice vs I can cut a 1/8" slice with a knife. For slicing 1" steaks a knife is going to be easier and better than a meat slicer in my opinion. About the only thing a meat slicer is going to do better is the very thin deli type slices.

I get good enough results by putting whatever I’m slicing in the freezer for 30-45 minutes just to let it stiffen up, then slicing by hand.

Everybody I know that has invested in one has about the same opinion as @npaden - juice just isn’t worth the squeeze.

I have a 7.5 MEAT brand slicer I won at a raffle. It's alright but as mentioned I use my slicer knife way more. About the only thing I regularly use it for is slicing my pastrami real thin.

I have a mid-tier Cabelas brand slicer ($150). The only thing I use it for is to make thin slices for making jerky. Only way to have success with making those jerky slices is to semi-freeze the meat. No way would you be happy with the result for making steaks 1 inch thick. The depth setting moves while slicing too, and I use a peice of tape to keep the depth guage from moving. Even then the consistency of slices is not perfect because the machine has quite a bit of flex.

I would not buy one again if my current one breaks.

I have a mid-tier Cabelas brand slicer ($150). The only thing I use it for is to make thin slices for making jerky. Only way to have success with making those jerky slices is to semi-freeze the meat. No way would you be happy with the result for making steaks 1 inch thick. The depth setting moves while slicing too, and I use a peice of tape to keep the depth guage from moving. Even then the consistency of slices is not perfect because the machine has quite a bit of flex.

I would not buy one again if my current one breaks.
I might have the same model as yours or one level lower, mine has the serrated blade. After reading the reviews on Cabelas website I had much higher expectations. No matter how much or little pressure I'd put on the meat as I slice it or adjust the thickness adjuster I could never get uniform cuts. After a couple passes I would get an angle cut in a roast and each following cut would get worse, I would flip it between each cut to prevent it from getting real bad but it was a pain. It hasn't been pulled down from the cabinet in years.

If I need something cut for jerky, my local butcher does it for me for free. Otherwise as others said, I'll freeze partially and slice with a well sharpened knife.

SITKA Gear Optifade Cover

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AKILL
Back