Massive Nevada Solar Farm on BLM

So in your comparison with natural gas, did you include the amount of surface disturbance getting the natural gas out of the ground and on-site to the power plant? The miles of roads, the well pads, gas line roads/installation? Any info on the orphan wells and associated footprint to take care of that little problem?

Its not just a 20 acre foot print, BTW, not defending the loss of 62,000 acres of public land being turned into a solar farm. But, in fairness you cant just compare the footprint of the gas fired plant.
I did not. I have not found any studies that compare the total cost/footprint & effect on the environment of either of the green energy, gas fired or nuclear energy sources. And I'm skeptical of the amount of bias in articles/studies released by the industry and trade organizations. If anybody has found a study that looks at the totality of these energy sources and summarizes the cost values and impact on the environment please share.

Buzz, I'm aware that the extraction industry can be quite disruptive. I take advantage of those well roads you speak of while hunting WY; and from a high vantage point looking out over the vast landscape seeing the spider web of roads reaching out to the horizon is disturbing; although, not as disturbing as the massive coal operations. And the question of what to do with the flowback (the water that returns to the surface after fracking). I've watched it go from being trucked to municipal water treatment facilities (very bad idea) to being mixed with an absorbent to create a slurry and buried in landfills to being run through centrifuges to extract the heavy metals which are then containerized and trucked to the U.P of Michigan for burial. I don't walk around wearing rose colored glasses, normally. Well, sometimes after a few adult beverages.

Suffice to say that the old saying "there is no free lunch" applies to energy production.

It's a complicated web with no easy answers and can lead to smart people arguing about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

I can only tell this crowd as I spent a day touring operating solar farms (average 600 acres) and looked at the vast solar array I was sick to my stomach. The same way I feel when looking at stripped land or the massive mines of WY. Mans impact leaves nothing for the other inhabitants of the land.

I would imagine trying to tie multiple smaller arrays into the system would be much more expensive and not nearly as efficient as one large system. Individual businesses might use it for themselves but preparing for the load added to their roofing just to have the juice go elsewhere would probably make people think twice about it.

I'm all for smaller nuke plants scattered around the country. It's not 1960 anymore, things are safer after the lessons we've learned.
Good they can send all the waste to your state.

Nevada needs a lot more solar farms,as Nevada does not have Nuclear,or a lot of Wind power ,so they need too build more Solar farms on BLM land almost everywhere in the state.

There is already a big solar farm near the Smoky Valley.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/BzF6N3dSDGr5A1FJ6

Could set a precedent. Out of sight out of mind. Energy is messy and ugly.

I am convinced the difference between the haves and the have nots in the future will be whether a person controls their money, water and energy sources.

There is already a big solar farm near the Smoky Valley.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/BzF6N3dSDGr5A1FJ6

Could set a precedent. Out of sight out of mind. Energy is messy and ugly.

I am convinced the difference between the haves and the have nots in the future will be whether a person controls their money, water and energy sourcpr
They are really pushing a lot of solar, some wind energy, and hydroelectric near Ely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hoping for elk
Back