Making a job change possibly...what would you do?

Tax dollars going to a guy who can sit on social media rather than do his job. Great.
What's with the attitude? You don't even know me. Your last two posts have been prick-like to say the least. My grades are in, prepped for next week, and ready to go. I've been working all day and part of last night. And all 5300 plus posts of yours are made on 100% of your free time..get real!

Last edited:
What's with the attitude? You don't even know me. Your last two posts have been prick-like to say the least. My grades are in, prepped for next week, and ready to go. I've been working all day and part of last night. And all 5300 plus posts of yours are made on 100% of your free time..get real!
He peeked inside the teachers lounge……

Only you know the info needed. But IMO those who day "it's not about money" when giving advice to others tend to have enough money. Even Randy's famous advice about running out of time before money assumes you have money to live on.

You can look at things like family health history and make a guess at longevity. Someone above mentioned essentially suck it up for 8 years, grab the pension and go have fun. Personally that's what I did . Made lots of.money at a job I didn't really like. Made enough to be debt free and retired at 58. Now spend my time hunting, fishing, golfing and playing with my grandsons.

There's no 1 right answer

Hey everyone,

I am at a bit of a crossroads in my life. I have an absolute love for bird hunting, shotguns, and bowhunting not to mention hiking, kayaking, and fishing. I've been an educator for the past 22 years and only get 2 personal days the whole entire year. I have a ton of sick days, but it's obvious if I take one, two, ten for hunting the rut, grouse hunting, pheasant hunting etc. Because of the lack of personal days/vacation days, I am thinking about ditching education for a job that pays about half as much, but I would be done everyday at 1:30 pm and have the weekends off. I would have full benefits, dental, 401K, etc., just be making a significant amount less. My wife has a good job that she loves which is 5 min away from our home. I am also commuting 30 min a day one way to teach and if I were to take this new job, my commute would be eliminated. In your opinion, is less money and more time to do what you love worth it? Just for reference, I make about 70,000 now and the new job would be around 40,000 starting. Have any of you ever done something like this before? I already have a pension through the state for my 22 years of service, it just won't be a full pension. Is some guaranteed money better than no guaranteed money seeing as you never know when your health may give out and your ability to follow your passions may also give out? I would love your thoughts on this.

Many years ago, I faced a decision similar to the one you face. I had met my wife we were planning to marry. I had a good paying job, and hers payed decently. We were living in the Twin Cities. This is where the first job out of college brought me. It most definitely wasn't where I wanted to live for a lifetime.

She was agreeable to moving. The plan we made was to stick it out for three years and save one of her pay checks and one of mine every month. After three years we had our self funded safety net. I tried to get a job out west before quitting the job I held. That never quite became together. We moved west with no job, and my wife pregnant with our son. I did have a willingness to do any job needed to make it succeed.

It took some time to get a job, longer to get a good job. Our safety net held and and our plan succeeded well enough that our marriage is in its 47th year.

I can't possibly know from your information what to tell you. I will say if it is REALLY important to you, get a plan that will increase the odds that your switch will succeed.

There is an old saying that often applies... the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boytoman
Back